• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can you EQ this with a compression driver?

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
The usual way is to NOT EQ, but to use a capacitor to roll off the response starting at around 8-10 kHz and that will reduce the whole region below it enough to make it mostly flat.

One cap, at a 6db/octave roll off.
It seems smart,

My XD125 FR:
02_09_13_830_169_1b9f8.png

Roll off with capacitor:
HPF-Diagram.png

After that if needed EQ.:)

Two bipolar capacitors of around 2.0uF only cost around $2-4 thereabouts.

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
Some old analog crossovers had a button\jumper "CD EQ", where CD means "constant directivity" :)
Also new products apparently::)

"High-Precision Stereo 2-Way/3-Way/Mono 4-Way Crossover with Limiters, Adjustable Time Delays and CD Horn Correction"

"CD Horn Compensation
When a driver radiates into open space via a horn, its efficiency increases. Over the past few years, constant-directivity horns have gained widespread popularity, since they are designed to produce consistent dispersion over their entire frequency range – however, the higher the frequency, the lower the efficiency. To compensate for this, the CX3400 includes a switchable pre-EQ for CD horns that ensures a fl at frequency response, even before equalization is applied. This pre-EQ raises the signal gain by 3 dB at 3.5 kHz, which then increases by 6 dB/oct. up to 22.5 kHz."

Nothing I intend to buy. I just saw that it was there. That functionality.:)

Edit:
Although new and new, ..it's Behringer so it's probably some old construction that they (illegal?) copied in true Behringer spirit, I can imagine.:)

Last edited:
Top Bottom