• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can you be more sensitive to the AMP than the DAC?

josiah

I have recently gotten into the audio side of entertainment lately. I'm really enjoying my Sundara's right now.

I have been doing the usual...trying to find the perfect Audio combination for the price. One thing I have noticed, is that I seem to be a lot more sensitive to the quality of the AMP than the DAC.

I noticed a huge upgrade from anything to the Fiio K5 Pro. Which shouldn't make sense, the Fiio's dac scores are not the greatest. Then I noticed the GSX1000 with the ATOM sounds way better than before. This includes some easy to power headphones... I figured I would test the atom with other combinations, and it seemed to make a night and day difference compared to the default AMPS.

I would say it's all in my head, but I have to listen really closely for the DAC differences, I notice the AMP differences immediately.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
No doubt. That is why I don't even do much listening tests for DACs but test every headphone amplifier. It is trivial to run out of power in a headphone amp and have it distort. Or have a very high output impedance which screws up the response of the headphone.

Top Bottom