• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can we trust our ears?

digicidal

Major Contributor
It doesn't imply that the system that reproduces recorded sound should be different for different people.

Thankfully... can you imagine the confusion that would cause? :facepalm:

"I'm looking for the London Philharmonic Orchestra performing Mozart's "Requiem", conducted by Franz Welser-Most - but with all the instruments tuned to Bob's ears (preferably the "post-earwax-removal" version). As an alternate I'd begrudgingly accept the Janet-after-morning-coffee tuning."

watchnerd

Grand Contributor

"I'm looking for the London Philharmonic Orchestra performing Mozart's "Requiem", conducted by Franz Welser-Most - but with all the instruments tuned to Bob's ears (preferably the "post-earwax-removal" version). As an alternate I'd begrudgingly accept the Janet-after-morning-coffee tuning."

Will be a non-issue once we get direct to brain auditory feeds.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Will be a non-issue once we get direct to brain auditory feeds.
And when that happens you won't have to worry about WAF, since you won't need one of those, either. Just direct inject your favorite image into your visual cotex. Not sure how your sandwiches will get made, though.

j_j

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
Whoa, there. No, most textbooks won't have to be rewritten. You're talking about higher-level issues here, not basics like critical bandwidths, masking thresholds, and loudness.

The claimed "amazing" discovery simply isn't amazing. This is why things like listening tests use "listener training" in the first place. Certainly, any elementary view of human perception talks about CNS filtering and attention direction.

That is ***all*** you're talking about here. Sorry.

I've covered this in several place, including here: https://www.aes-media.org/sections/pnw/pnwrecaps/2013/apr_jj/ Oddly, it seems like the ppt deck is missing. I'll go ask.

I found it. It's at https://www.aes.org/sections/pnw/ppt/jj/heyser.pptx

Please note the discussion around slide 14.

Thank you!

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
And when that happens you won't have to worry about WAF, since you won't need one of those, either. Just direct inject your favorite image into your visual cotex. Not sure how your sandwiches will get made, though.

Now you made it cringey....

tuga

Major Contributor

Shouldn't you be asking if the orchestra was multi-mic'ed or minimally mic'ed with 2-main + 2-ambience?

If all mics were identical or different mics with different FR were used for different instrument groups, soloists etc.?

Were the mics calibrated and/or EQ'ed?

Armed with that information will you choose Franz Welser-Möst's recording multi-mic'ed with far from flat Neumann M50s (speculating) or some other recording which a more minimalist approach using flatter mics which will portray a more credible illusion of the soundscape as listened from the audience?

Will you use narrow-directivity speakers or your room's side-walls as waveguides for that nice wide soundstage effect?

2 channel stereo or upmixed, multi-channel or DSP'ed 3D sound?

2 sugars or three?

Last edited:

pma

Major Contributor
Talking about Requiem, my favourite recording is Decca 433688-2, Wiener Philharmoniker, directed by Georg Solti, recorded in St Stephen's Cathedral, Vienna. This piece is extremely difficult to transform into sound can.

Last edited:

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Talking about Requiem, my favourite recording is Decca 433688-2, Wiener Philharmoniker, directed by Georg Solti, recorded in St Spehen's Cathedral, Vienna. This piece is extremely difficult to transform into sound can.

Interesting, I hadn't heard it - thanks :) Do you know much about this recording? Mic technique, etc.

Reactions: pma

digicidal

Major Contributor
Armed with that information will you choose Franz Welser-Möst's recording multi-mic'ed with far from flat Neumann M50s (speculating) or some other recording which a more minimalist approach using flatter mics which will portray a more credible illusion of the soundscape as listened from the audience?

Of course, as a connoisseur of metal, I tend to get excited when a very nominal amount of effort was made in even making the instruments sound like a bad analog of the actual thing. I've long ago given up on getting any truly great recordings of most of my favorite pieces. As long as it doesn't sound like I have a cardboard box on my head... it's an exceptional recording already. :rolleyes:

pma

Major Contributor
Interesting, I hadn't heard it - thanks :) Do you know much about this recording? Mic technique, etc.

Not so much, unfortunately. Just the info from inlay

1611496494541.png

digicidal

Major Contributor
Not so much, unfortunately. Just the info from inlay

View attachment 108125
I have at least six different recordings of Requiem (which should say something in a collection which contains fewer than 50 albums in the genre). I don't have this one however, so I guess I'll add a 7th and see how it compares. Thanks for the info... although "monitored on B&W Loudspeakers" doesn't particularly fill me with confidence on the production side of things. :p

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have at least six different recordings of Requiem (which should say something in a collection which contains fewer than 50 albums in the genre). I don't have this one however, so I guess I'll add a 7th and see how it compares. Thanks for the info... although "monitored on B&W Loudspeakers" doesn't particularly fill me with confidence on the production side of things. :p

Haha. I noticed that too. Not too unusual for a classical recording, though, and the B&Ws of that era were not bad speakers.

Reactions: pma

pma

Major Contributor
Haha. I noticed that too. Not too unusual for a classical recording, though, and the B&Ws of that era were not bad speakers.

Agreed. And let’s not overestimate contemporary fashion trends ;).

Katji

Major Contributor
"Can we trust our ears?"

Referring to ears instead of hearing is not a good way to start.

It's sort of like referring to the front part of a microphone, and microphones are much simpler than hearing.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Thanks for the info... although "monitored on B&W Loudspeakers" doesn't particularly fill me with confidence on the production side of things. :p
I had a similar reaction to the identification of the recording site. The acoustics of St. Stephen's Cathedral present a challenge for performances and recordings, imho.

pma

Major Contributor
I heard rehearsals to Requiem at Salzburg Kollegienkirche. Great impression which home Hi-Fi will never bring.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I heard rehearsals to Requiem at Salzburg Kollegienkirche.
I have not been there and I am not commenting on cathedrals, in general.

Great impression which home Hi-Fi will never bring.
Agreed but I suspect that you, as most, are basing that on home Hi-Fi in only 2 channels :rolleyes:.

pma

Major Contributor
2 or 6, makes not so much difference, in such case like cathedral sound, especially cathedral organ. Or a philharmonic orchestra. Live music and reproduced music are just 2 different disciplines. I think everyone familiar with both would agree. The reconstruction of the cathedral or hall sound field is physically impossible in home or studio conditions.

Top Bottom