• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can we discuss the BMR Tower?

Dennis Murphy

Major Contributor
Technical Expert
Pretty simple to calculate, we just need to know it's value in CDN.
Duties are typically it's 12% in BC, just like taxes.
So for a US$3700/pair =>CDN$4600/pair, it would be CDN$550 or so in duties.
Duty payment is made at the border if you're driving across yourself (this way you save on shipping, of course), otherwise something must be arranged when shipping directly to Canada.
Thanks for the pricing info. We've shipped a number of monitors to Canada using Fed Ex, and I never see the duty information. The buyer just pays me the speaker value plus the Fed Ex charge, and I guess they get billed separately for duties.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
We could do that, but it will be expensive, and I don't know what kind of duties would be involved.
Refer to (CBSA) Canada Border Services Agency tariffs document page # 85-27 for loudspeakers tariffs @ this <.pdf>.
According to the schedule there is no tariff on loudspeakers.
A quick telephone call to the CBSA will answer questions @ 1-800-461-9999 (toll-free in Canada and the USA).

Live agents are available:
  • Monday to Friday from 6 am to 10 pm (eastern time)
  • Saturday, Sunday and Federal statutory holidays from 10 am to 6 pm (eastern time)
tariffs 1.png

GDK

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Refer to (CBSA) Canada Border Services Agency tariffs document page # 85-27 for loudspeakers tariffs @ this <.pdf>.
According to the schedule there is no tariff on loudspeakers.
A quick telephone call to the CBSA will answer questions @ 1-800-461-9999 (toll-free in Canada and the USA).

Live agents are available:
  • Monday to Friday from 6 am to 10 pm (eastern time)
  • Saturday, Sunday and Federal statutory holidays from 10 am to 6 pm (eastern time)
View attachment 164433
Yes, thanks to the USMCA/CUSMA unless it’s dairy :facepalm: you should just have to pay the sales tax on imports from the US and therefore no different than purchasing locally.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, thanks to the USMCA/CUSMA unless it’s dairy :facepalm: you should just have to pay the sales tax on imports from the US and therefore no different than purchasing locally.
I never buy dairy/cheese in the USA. I don't buy dairy period but I buy cheese for calcium. How much duty are they charging? Those evil Quebec dairy farmers caused this! :p

Reactions: GDK

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
When my BMR Towers arrive in Dec I plan to compare them with REW in the same room with the Revel F328Be. My guess is both speakers will have a similar in room bass extension. I'm measuring F6 of 28Hz in my room with the F328Be. I will enjoy seeing how both speakers compare on the same REW chart in the same room. I was using the Sierra Towers with RAAL tweeter before the F328Be arrived. While the Sierra Towers sound great with subs, the F328Be offers a totally new world in bass extension and power.

In room measurements of the two would be a great way to compare the extension :).

bigjacko

I don't have any plans to offer the tower as a kit. One reason is simply protection of intellectual property. That's why the BMR monitor kit is only available in the Scanspeak version.
Can I ask how do you protect your intellectual property? Even if you try to hide it, some people can still buy a pair and easily reverse engineer the cabinet and crossover. I don't know what else you can do apart from patent.

Jdunk54nl

Can I ask how do you protect your intellectual property? Even if you try to hide it, some people can still buy a pair and easily reverse engineer the cabinet and crossover. I don't know what else you can do apart from patent.

It’s not only the crossover. It’s also the cabinet design to be a mass loaded transmission line, the separate chambers for the bmr, etc.

The crossover is the easy part, the rest is where things get super tricky.

BluesDaddy

Forum Donor
But to do that you must actually purchase one at a much higher cost than any kit, including flat packs, would be and then have to essentially deconstruct one of the speakers. Dennis doesn't make much on the speakers as it is, and the DIY I'm sure was less, or even nothing, and requires a lot of support. No reason at all for Dennis to put his flagship design in the DIY world.

alexis

Audio Company
We do not want to make it "super easy". Offering a kit means someone would put the whole building process on paper and "support" / explain the build. "Easy" is always relative.

Dennis Murphy

Major Contributor
Technical Expert
Right--anyone hell bent on producing clones can do it. Providing a kit would make that marginally easier. There's nothing to patent in the BMR line. The best protection for us is to keep the margins so thin that there's no incentive to copy the design.

bigjacko

Thanks for the answers guys. I was thinking for people that knows some theory behind speaker building would be able to know how the speaker was built just from opening up a BMR tower. I musy say for the crazay price anyone making clones will lose money haha.:p

tktran303

Forum Donor
I don't.

I can't even see any tolerances (+/- dB) specs on their website, let alone graphs of any kind, including a simple on-axis, let alone off axis, let alone 180 (behind the speaker). Lacking on a lot of technical detail and no clarification on sensitivity spec (1W or 2.83V)

Just dipole woofers stitched to monopole tweeter this is not state of the art dipole design like Sigfried Linkwitz or John Krevskovsky at all, and nowhere near the a Jamo R909 which clearly is the prototypical speaker of this class...

squeedle

I don't.

I can't even see any tolerances (+/- dB) specs on their website, let alone graphs of any kind, including a simple on-axis, let alone off axis, let alone 180 (behind the speaker). Lacking on a lot of technical detail and no clarification on sensitivity spec (1W or 2.83V)

Just dipole woofers stitched to monopole tweeter this is not state of the art dipole design like Sigfried Linkwitz or John Krevskovsky at all.

Poor man's Jamo R909 maybe...
They sound fantastic, but as I said, I'd also like to see proper measurements and spin data.

Adam Bernau

Forum Donor
I always respect anyone who goes his own way, and creates constructions of his own, but to see this really hurts.. Am i the only one who has noticed this angled tweeter? This is amateur hour work, don´t shoot the messenger! :D
Screenshot 2021-11-13 031607.jpg

Dennis Murphy

Major Contributor
Technical Expert
I always respect anyone who goes his own way, and creates constructions of his own, but to see this really hurts.. Am i the only one who has noticed this angled tweeter? This is amateur hour work, don´t shoot the messenger! :D
View attachment 165023
The screw holes are pre-drilled at the factory. I guess my business partner just didn't notice the slight angle. I apologize.

tktran303

Forum Donor
View attachment 165023

Is this your speaker Adam?

Or the Audioholics one?

BlackTalon

Forum Donor
So I'm confused. This affects the sound how?

Colonel7

They sound fantastic, but as I said, I'd also like to see proper measurements and spin data.
Different tastes I guess . I thought the Spatial Audio room was a real disappointment this past weekend. I was expecting them to be more than dull and it got to be kind of a joke where the rep was only playing selections with one instrument even when taking "requests". Didn't hear anything playing remotely low

squeedle

Different tastes I guess . I thought the Spatial Audio room was a real disappointment this past weekend. I was expecting them to be more than dull and it got to be kind of a joke where the rep was only playing selections with one instrument even when taking "requests". Didn't hear anything playing remotely low
Oh wow, that's a shame. I got to audition a pair of the M3's at their dealer-partner-guy in San Jose and I played a full CD's worth of my own reference tracks. I thought they sounded wonderful and had a shocking amount of low end extension. But I am still eager to see measurement data.

Top Bottom