• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can we discuss the BMR Tower?

5wavesup

I look forward to the measurements. I own the original BMR's, I wonder if it would be worth trading up to the towers? I wish him good luck, I absolutely love my speakers.

OP
B

blestin

The horizontal measurements and bass response looks like a big improvement, but I am now wondering about vertical dispersion due to the new MTM arrangement.

More Dynamics Please

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Lots of possibilities up front for those who don't like the look of the raw drivers to cover them with custom grillwork without hiding too much of that gorgeous wood finish.

1617598983041-png.3119209

OP
B

blestin

I never really considered custom grills, where do you even purchase them or do you mean diy grills?

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
https://www.avsforum.com/threads/philharmonic-audio-dennis-murphy.1348949/page-535#post-60148852

really had to dive down the internet rabbit hole to find that for you, but there you go . @Martin heard it from a guy, who heard it from a guy, who heard it from @Dennis Murphy

I talked with Dennis last September about providing measurements. I hadn't even started talking to Klippel about the NFS yet. It's been so long I even forgot we had that conversation. But, remembering, I thought I was going to test his new monitor speaker. I don't think we've talked about the floorstander. But I could be mistaken.

Dennis Murphy

Major Contributor
Technical Expert
I talked with Dennis last September about providing measurements. I hadn't even started talking to Klippel about the NFS yet. It's been so long I even forgot we had that conversation. But, remembering, I thought I was going to test his new monitor speaker. I don't think we've talked about the floorstander. But I could be mistaken.

Two comments: First, we actually had discussed measuring one of the prototype towers. After finishing the first version of the crossover, I thought I had learned enough about the response and distortion characteristics to skip the expense and time involved in shipping you the prototype. I'm sure you have better uses of your time, particularly since this wasn't meant to be a review, just a private transaction.

Second--and not addressed to you--I thought this was a science forum. All these comments about aesthetics make me think you guys thought you were posting on AVS. But since I have your attention, the grill design has proven as problematic as Middle East politics. A one-piece grill is prone to shipping damage and will cover a lot of the veneer. So far I haven't been able to come up with a 2-piece design that looks right. The first draft had an oval upper grill that along with the woofer grill looked like an exclamation point. So I got rid of the oval. It's still kind of klunky. Any suggestions are welcome. As for the "oddly spaced drivers," that's what you get when you optimize the woofer and port locations to maximize the quarter wave contribution, and squeeze the MTM configuration as close together as possible. It's called form following function, or more succinctly, science. :)

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
First, we actually had discussed measuring one of the prototype towers. After finishing the first version of the crossover, I thought I had learned enough about the response and distortion characteristics to skip the expense and time involved in shipping you the prototype. I'm sure you have better uses of your time, particularly since this wasn't meant to be a review, just a private transaction.

Hey, man, I’m just glad I was right in remembering we even had a conversation at all. The amount of things I can’t remember is uncanny.

MarkS

Major Contributor
Wouldn't any grill cause unwanted reflections off the grill edges?

fun

As a fan of ribbon tweeter, I think this would be a worthy successor to my Aurum Cantus V3M monitors. In fact, it would likely be the end-game for me based on the measurements, but I would need a matching center speaker as well :)

OP
B

blestin

Two comments: First, we actually had discussed measuring one of the prototype towers. After finishing the first version of the crossover, I thought I had learned enough about the response and distortion characteristics to skip the expense and time involved in shipping you the prototype. I'm sure you have better uses of your time, particularly since this wasn't meant to be a review, just a private transaction.

Second--and not addressed to you--I thought this was a science forum. All these comments about aesthetics make me think you guys thought you were posting on AVS. But since I have your attention, the grill design has proven as problematic as Middle East politics. A one-piece grill is prone to shipping damage and will cover a lot of the veneer. So far I haven't been able to come up with a 2-piece design that looks right. The first draft had an oval upper grill that along with the woofer grill looked like an exclamation point. So I got rid of the oval. It's still kind of klunky. Any suggestions are welcome. As for the "oddly spaced drivers," that's what you get when you optimize the woofer and port locations to maximize the quarter wave contribution, and squeeze the MTM configuration as close together as possible. It's called form following function, or more succinctly, science. :)

Hi Dennis, do you have any measurements, info or at least comments concerning the tower’s vertical dispersion/frequency response?
I am assuming it is similar to the BMR since the bmr & raal drivers are the similar size and spaced so closely together.

muad

I remember reading a post on avs where the guy was asking if the drivers of the BMR tower could be moved to make the layout more aesthetically pleasing. It's almost as if the pretty box doesn't need to make sound

It looks better in the real life pictures than the renders. Goodluck with the grill, not an easy design to work with. It would be awesome to see this thing on the klippel for science

Top Bottom