• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can we agree headphone amplifiers are solved?

Hrodulf

Meaning no preference is possible. They exceed the limits of human perception.

I've conducted blind tests and have seen people showing preference to a more distorting (both over and under perceptual limit) piece of electronics. Heck I've even done tests with 128kbps MP3 and FLAC and some folks would reliably prefer MP3. This gels well with Butterworth's article where he states that measurements show the performance of electronics, but listener preference is fickle.

The question remains - what is the aim of audio electronics? Should we berate people for listening to what they prefer even if they hate the sound of the better measuring alternative?

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've conducted blind tests and have seen people showing preference to a more distorting (both over and under perceptual limit) piece of electronics. Heck I've even done tests with 128kbps MP3 and FLAC and some folks would reliably prefer MP3. This gels well with Butterworth's article where he states that measurements show the performance of electronics, but listener preference is fickle.

The question remains - what is the aim of audio electronics? Should we berate people for listening to what they prefer even if they hate the sound of the better measuring alternative?
Yes, they should be horsewhipped on the steps of their club, and shunned by polite society.

Hurrumph!

S.

solderdude

Grand Contributor

Why would one have to choose ?
There are people with certain preferences and they (like to) think this can be resolved with 'special amplifiers' that may well not be 'transparent'.
There is a market for this. Let them.
There are people that are convinced an amp should not change the sound and prefer an amp that is 'truthful'. Power to them.
Extremist exist on both 'sides'.

Then there are people that have no idea, or don't mind either solution as long as it works for them.

The question here is whether or not headphone amplifiers are 'solved'.
There is only one answer. Yes it is solved.
But that does not mean everyone desires the same solution.

The statement that 'special sound amplifiers' are better, of course, can also be split into 2 answers.
Better than technically proficient amplifiers they are not.
Better sounding to an individual they may well be.

The word 'better' and in what context it is used is basically the major point of discussion here. Accompanied by questioning the method with which the determination of 'better' has been established.

Pluto

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
ambisonics doesn't quite do it
Good enough for me though… I've done some wonderful stuff with a Soundfield mic. and the matrix to play it back over 7 speakers (which, at a time when Dolby hadn't even dreamed of 5.1, was considered ridiculous).

Even if Ambisonics “doesn't quite do it” it remains, nonetheless, an essentially open source answer to the problem. Sadly, the only further development in this field is likely to be proprietary.

If people realised that it was possible to assemble a reasonable Soundfield playback system for a relatively modest sum, made possible by the availability of half-decent active monitors on every street corner, interest in the concept might revive.

bobbooo

Major Contributor

Optional DSP can cater for tastes in distortion/degradation (which will often change depending on the source material). You don't need to compromise hardware performance and well recorded/mastered music for that.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

128 kbps MP3 is not transparent. If it were you couldn't have shown a preference.

People can prefer what they want. If we deliver them a transparent signal they can alter it to taste. If you deliver to them a signal with character different from fidelity you've limited what is possible with inferior source material.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Good enough for me though… I've done some wonderful stuff with a Soundfield mic. and the matrix to play it back over 7 speakers (which, at a time when Dolby hadn't even dreamed of 5.1, was considered ridiculous).

Even if Ambisonics “doesn't quite do it” it remains, nonetheless, an essentially open source answer to the problem. Sadly, the only further development in this field is likely to be proprietary.

If people realised that it was possible to assemble a reasonable Soundfield playback system for a relatively modest sum, made possible by the availability of half-decent active monitors on every street corner, interest in the concept might revive.
Maybe so. I've no love for Dolby et al and the continuously forever evolving proprietary formats without end.

I think the obvious take home message is more than two speakers is too much for a mass market to evolve of any size.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Hard to emulate the effect of a higher output resistance for all existing headphones and the tonal change that this brings ?
This, along with specific harmonic changes (due to used components) is hard to emulate as well.

Sure, some profiles of distortion can be emulated (done with guitar amps often) and mostly this also includes speaker behavior of a specific amp as well. Sure you can emulate a few different harmonic distortion profiles from a few analyzed amps (the transfer function).
That, however, is not what those people want because you cannot emulate the 'magic' owners of said amps are convinced they have.

In the end it is great that a huge variation exists to cater for all people and be happy with it.
Myself I would for technically sufficient (which is already technically exceeded with huge margins) but not everyone is the same, fortunately.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The question is, what signal? They may be transparent and exceed the limits of perception when playing sine tones, but what about the thing we actually use them to play and listen to, music? Is there any evidence of a monotonic correlation between DAC/amps' fidelity/degradation of a sine signal and their fidelity/degradation of a music signal? There is in fact some suggestive evidence any such correlation is actually poor, which could mean a device that is audibly transparent when playing sine tones may not be transparent when playing music.

(By the way, I'd argue the exact same criteria applies to transducers - fidelity to the source. Except in this case the 'source' is the sound the engineer heard from their studio monitors when mastering the music you're listening to.)
No the source is the signal. If want to recreate what the sound engineer heard you'll need that information and to use the same gear in the same situation. Otherwise you are just muddying waters to no benefit to anyone.

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor

As a person who loves distorted electric guitar and noisy punk rock, I can certainly understand how I might in a blind listening test prefer a certain sound characteristic of one component over another even though that component was actually doing it's "job" in a less technically perfect manner. That in no way means I have to be a slave to that preference. I fundamentally understand that the task of an amp is to amplify. I don't want an amp that EQs everything I send through it as well. I'll handle that with a component (or software) that is designed for that and that allows me to have complete control of that. This is where measurements point the way for me. I can find measured "perfection" without having to rely on my flawed, unreliable hearing system.

MSTARK

Trick is to make it customer friendly.
Most people just want to press play and enjoy the music.

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
Trick is to make it customer friendly.
Most people just want to press play and enjoy the music.

Yeah, but who cares? The question isn't "are headphone amps solved for the general public?" The general public couldn't care less about headphone amps. Most people barely know there is such a thing. Same goes for dacs. Amps and dacs have been solved forever for the general public. So have speakers. It's all already perfect as far as "most" people are concerned.

MSTARK

Yeah, but who cares? The question isn't "are headphone amps solved for the general public?" The general public couldn't care less about headphone amps. Most people barely know there is such a thing. Same goes for dacs. Amps and dacs have been solved forever for the general public. So have speakers. It's all already perfect as far as "most" people are concerned.

Cost of innovation have to be profitable. Therefor, it has to be customer friendly.
Headphone amplification did improved a lot so did DAC technology.
Integrating it all with today’s most popular media formats and streaming services is something that needs a bit more attention IMHO.

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
Cost of innovation have to be profitable. Therefor, it has to be customer friendly.
Headphone amplification did improved a lot so did DAC technology.
Integrating it all with today’s most popular media formats and streaming services is something that needs a bit more attention IMHO.

Again, that's not really what we're discussing here. That's not the "solved" we're talking about.

MSTARK

Technically headphone amps and DACs are 'solved'.

Human preference/taste/convictions is the part that makes it seem as if it isn't 'solved' to many people.

As tribal as humans are, we still pride ourselves with self identity. You just can’t make ONE amp, ONE headphone, ONE of anything that will suit everyone. No matter how good or SOTA it is.

MSTARK

Again, that's not really what we're discussing here. That's not the "solved" we're talking about.

If you are just talking about amplification then sure, it has come pretty far (as far as price to performance ratio is concerned). And there will always be room for improvement.

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
As tribal as humans are, we still pride ourselves with self identity. You just can’t make ONE amp, ONE headphone, ONE of anything that will suit everyone. No matter how good or SOTA it is.

No, but in a technical sense, we could stop making headphone amps and dacs now. Theoretically, you could put the guts of an L30 or an E30 in a bunch of different boxes and sell them as different amps and dacs and who'd be the wiser?

MSTARK

Top Bottom