• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can VST plugins like Penteo 16 or Halo Upmix + jRiver replace AVR-hardware?

OP
DJBonoBobo

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
DJBonoBobo

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So the answer to my OP is "No".

192kbps

Addicted to Fun and Learning
How To Decode and Play Dolby TrueHD Atmos on Windows and macOS
True Dolby Atmos with only a PC

Alexium

Do I understand correctly that the Cavern software can decode Dolby Atmos and TrueHD formats, apply calibration (EQ, delays, levels) and send the resulting audio as PCM... where? To a multi-channel DAC?
No DTS support, right? And no Dolby upmixing? Just playback of original Dolby-encoded content?

VoidX

Do I understand correctly that the Cavern software can decode Dolby Atmos and TrueHD formats, apply calibration (EQ, delays, levels) and send the resulting audio as PCM... where? To a multi-channel DAC?
No DTS support, right? And no Dolby upmixing? Just playback of original Dolby-encoded content?
Yes, it has a decoder and calibrator, but Atmos decoding is only for DD+ (TrueHD docs are Dolby secrets). The decoder converts the files which can be played with any media player, through any multi-channel DAC. The EQ is applied by Equalizer APO, it's system-wide.

HerbertWest

My question to you is now:
Do I see it right that I can simply use a (hopefully good quality?) plugin like Penteo 16 Pro for $ 350 with jRiver or Reaper and that would meet my needs on the PC?
Or am I missing something and it doesn't work that way?

I have an UCX2, and I use penteo as vsx plug-in in jriver:

Roon 2.0 -> penteo (in Jriver) to Auro3D 5.4 -> audiolense 7.4.2 (asio sound card in Jriver)

Jriver can compensate 1.1s of filter latency when I upmix old 2.0 movies.

I also tested:

Line input 2.0 -> penteo (in HangLooseConvolver) to Auro3D 5.4 -> audiolense 7.4.2 within HLC

No issues for me.

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have an UCX2, and I use penteo as vsx plug-in in jriver:

Roon 2.0 -> penteo (in Jriver) to Auro3D 5.4 -> audiolense 7.4.2 (asio sound card in Jriver)

Jriver can compensate 1.1s of filter latency when I upmix old 2.0 movies.

I also tested:

Line input 2.0 -> penteo (in HangLooseConvolver) to Auro3D 5.4 -> audiolense 7.4.2 within HLC

No issues for me.

PC or Mac?

goodkeys

@VoidX have you made progress on the additional features for Cavern? Can it upmix in real-time now? And have you managed to add time-domain corrections for Quick EQ? My hardware for an Atmos setup on PC should soon arrive. Looking forward to test Cavern and QuickEQ.

VoidX

@VoidX have you made progress on the additional features for Cavern? Can it upmix in real-time now? And have you managed to add time-domain corrections for Quick EQ? My hardware for an Atmos setup on PC should soon arrive. Looking forward to test Cavern and QuickEQ.
The upmixer always worked real-time (CavernSplitter), but the Atmos rendering isn't. However, progress was made and the analysis/planning is done, it's possible, and while it's still hard, it's not as hard as I initially thought. QuickEQ is stagnating, but it's time alignment is already industry-leading without phase correction.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As long as you don't want Atmos, DTS-X, or Auro 3D, JRiver all by itself can decode all the legacy codecs, and with a multi channel DAC like the Octo Dac 8, you can indeed replace an AV receiver for all digital files and anything that streams over a PC. You can't, however, get the contents of a copy protected silver disk to play via the PC without first cracking and ripping it.

I currently use a $260 fanless Mele Quieter 3 to create a 5.1 system with no receiver using an OCTO Dac 8 Pro as my multichannel dac.

Top Bottom