• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can TV settings influence the optical output? Problem (?) with Fire TV Stick, Pro-Ject DAC, Marantz, Elac DBR62 setup

Doenerkunde

I have the following problem and it would be very kind if someone could take a look at it:

Setup:
Amazon Fire TV Stick HD
Sony Bravia TV
Pro-Ject USB Box S DAC
Marantz PM7001KI Amplifier
Elac Debut Reference 62

I like to listen to contemporary urban music, where new singles are released constantly and often are not available in physical form or high res. So I mostly listen to it over YouTube on my TV that is connected to my DAC with an optical cable. In the past I used my Playstation 4 as a youtube TV media player and was satisfied. With the recent doubling of energy costs in europe I bought an Amazon Fire TV Stick HD because it needs less energy (and is quieter).

When I first set up the Fire TV Stick I couldn´t get it to produce sound. After clicking through the menus I stumbled upon the reason: To get the Fire TV Stick to produce sound I had to change the TV audio settings from „external speakers“ to „TV inbuilt speakers“… I thought that the TV will always give out a signal over optical output, but with the Fire TV Stick that is not the case. I believe the reason for this is that Amazon wants it to be a „one device“ solution, where the Fire TV remote can also be used to control the TV and adjust sound etc. I clicked through every menu there is, but was not able to get it to produce sound in any other way.

Here´s my problem: The sound changed. When the bassline sets in compression sets in. It´s like there is not enough energy to support the bassline so everything else (like the voice of rap artists) gets quieter everytime the bass sets in. It somehow reminds me of very old heavily compressed YouTube videos. With different kinds of music this is not as notable as it is withRap/Trap.

First I thought that maybe some kind of equalizer that would somehow relieve the internal TV speakers was activated when I was forced to change the TV settings from „external speakers“ to „TV inbuilt speakers“. But on the other hand I was under the impression that optical Toslink would always give out the same signal, no matter what.

Is it even possible for the optical output to be influenced by TV settings?

Since I know how mighty the mind is, I am somewhat sceptical of my own impressions. While typing this post, I reset the TV settings and listened to a few tracks over my Playstation and think it sounds notably better: The vocalists stay the same volume, their voices do not collapse with every bass impulse. As a trained experimental and behavioral economist I know there might be biases at play, so I do not fully trust my own observation, but I think there is a obvious difference.

Any inputs are very welcome! Thanks beforehand and please excuse my english.

Paperkite

Hi, I may be wrong, but you may try to lower or increase the optical level (light intensity over optical cable I think) for PCM output, if your tv has such setting.

Top Bottom