• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Can this works? 3.5mm to 2.5mm

Hi, not very tech savvy so just need to seek your knowledge on this: Can I use a 3,5mm to 2,5mm adapter so I can use a 3.5mm cable to connect to balance out? thanks for sharing...….

solderdude

Major Contributor
You can convert a NON balanced 3.5mm TRS or 6.35mm TRS jack or even 2.5mm TRS jack from a headphone amp/source so it can be connected to a balanced headphone. That balanced headphone thus must have iether a 5pin-Pentaconn or 2.5mm TRRS or 4-pin XLR or dual 3-pin XLR connector.

You can NOT connect/convert a 3.5mm TRS or 6.35mm TRS jack or even 2.5mm TRS jack or 3.5mm TRRS headphone jack to a balanced amplifier/output.

So:
Unbalanced output to balanced headphone via converter = YES
Balanced output (2.5mm TRRS, Pentaconn or XLR4 or 2x3-pin XLR or 2x TS jack) to headphones fitted with a 3 -pin jack plug = NO......
Not even when you can find an adapter that says, or you may suspect it will. Do NOT use them you MAY damage your balanced source.

Note:
Also headphones with a 4-pin TRRS 3.5mm jack are NOT balanced. The second ring is for remote/mic.
A 4-pin 2.5mm TRRS jack is usually balanced.

NO single ended (3 pin) headphone can be connected to a balanced output.

Last edited:
OP
W
Thread Starter #6
You can convert a NON balanced 3.5mm TRS or 6.35mm TRS jack or even 2.5mm TRS jack from a headphone amp/source so it can be connected to a balanced headphone. That balanced headphone thus must have iether a 5pin-Pentaconn or 2.5mm TRRS or 4-pin XLR or dual 3-pin XLR connector.

You can NOT connect/convert a 3.5mm TRS or 6.35mm TRS jack or even 2.5mm TRS jack or 3.5mm TRRS headphone jack to a balanced amplifier/output.

So:
Unbalanced output to balanced headphone via converter = YES
Balanced output (2.5mm TRRS, Pentaconn or XLR4 or 2x3-pin XLR or 2x TS jack) to headphones fitted with a 3 -pin jack plug = NO......
Not even when you can find an adapter that says, or you may suspect it will. Do NOT use them you MAY damage your balanced source.

Note:
Also headphones with a 4-pin TRRS 3.5mm jack are NOT balanced. The second ring is for remote/mic.
A 4-pin 2.5mm TRRS jack is usually balanced.

NO single ended (3 pin) headphone can be connected to a balanced output.
Sorry, just to be sure I'm using a 3.5mm cable then using a 3.5mm to 2.5mm adapter connect to a dap 2.5mm balance output. Will it work or will damage the dap? Thanks

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Sorry, just to be sure I'm using a 3.5mm cable then using a 3.5mm to 2.5mm adapter connect to a dap 2.5mm balance output. Will it work or will damage the dap? Thanks
Short answer : NO.

If its the other way round of a balanced 2.5mm cable into a single-ended jack, then it will work fine.

solderdude

Major Contributor
It will not work and potentially could damage the DAP.
When the DAP has proper current limiting shorting the output (one basically shorts the L and R negative outputs) may not do any damage but could.
Let's just say I do NOT recommend this and is technically very wrong.

OP
W
Thread Starter #9
Thank you all for clearing this up. You guys are the best.

Top Bottom