• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

can this 3.5mm stereo switch be used as a 12v trigger switch?

kenshone

1) I understand that stereo uses TRS whereas a 12v trigger uses TR connections.
2) The description for the following product says "Analog signal maximum support 2V p-p input and output" -- https://www.amazon.com/Switcher-Sel...5&sprefix=headphone+switch+3.,aps,134&sr=8-13

Despite these issues, I want to check with those here who understand the EE behind these items whether there would actually be any practical issues using this as a 12v trigger switch.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
So you have equipment with a 12 V trigger input that you would like to control remotely, but you don't have a 12 V trigger power supply, right?

The crux of the matter is that this type of thing - see e.g. P156 fig. 6 -
Figure 6

is easy to integrate into a mains-powered device at design stage but requires some experience with mains and electrical safety on part of the DIYer, so rather not the ideal starter project. Unfortunately I can't find anything prebuilt either, unlike the counterpart to control existing mains-powered devices. I suppose you could plug a 12V wall wart into a switched power strip.

thorvat

Unfortunately I can't find anything prebuilt either, unlike the counterpart to control existing mains-powered devices.

Maybe this can help. That small round hole is for 3.5mm cable to be attached to the master controller device.

@kenshone Stereo TRS cable is also ok to use for 12V triggered power switching. And no, I wouldn't use the device you linked for this purpose.

audiophonics-trigger-12v-230v-slave-power-supply-device (1).jpg

Attachments

• audiophonics-trigger-12v-230v-slave-power-supply-device.jpg
    audiophonics-trigger-12v-230v-slave-power-supply-device.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:

thorvat

Hi @thorvat, could you clarify why you wouldn't use this device for trigger switching?

That device is audio signal switcher, and as you wrote "analog signal maximum support 2V p-p input and output", so it probably wouldn't be able to handle 12V switching signal. It simply wasn't designed for that purpose..

Top Bottom