• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can the AKG K702's be driven adequately by a USB Headphone Amp/DAC, specifically the Sound Blaster G3? G3 specs in post

38yEj5SxGA

About to pick up a pair of AKG K702's, and I want to ensure that my headphone Amp/DAC has enough power to drive them. From the specs below, is someone able to advise if the G3 is adequate? Are we talking raw voltage/wattage/loud enough is good enough, or is there more to it? Ideally I want to stick with either the G3 or get a Qudelix 5K, for the EQ and PEQ capabilities which are rare/expensive in more powerful desktop amps.

AKG K702 Sensitivity: 103.60 dB/V SPL by voltage and 91.63 dB/mW SPL by power

Sound Blaster G3 Amp Power:
Low Gain: 16–63Ω (0.235V rms @ 16Ω, 0.41V rms @ 32Ω)
High Gain: 64–300Ω (0.64V rms @ 64Ω, 0.94V rms @ 150Ω, 1.145V rms @ 300Ω)
Dynamic Range (DNR): 100 dB

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

charleski

Major Contributor
It’s marginal. You will need an additional amplifier for a full-range response, but it would be adequate for everyday listening or for music that’s heavily compressed. The K702 has a rated impedance of 62ohms.
Max SPL = (SPL @ 1 volt) + 20 * log( Vmax @ rated impedance)
99.7dB = 103.6 + 20* log (0.64)

Many would argue you need to be able to hit peaks of 105-110dB though you can certainly get by with less, depending on the loudness range of your music. And of course the specs you give don’t cite the distortion at that power, so they might be a bit optimistic.

OP

38yEj5SxGA

Thanks for the replies so far. Just to add, I don't listen very loud, would this make a difference in the power requirement of the amp? Or am I over-simplifying things? I don't really understand the whole power requirement thing, can anyone explain in layman's terms?

The way I would think it to work would be if it's loud enough it's adequate (short of distorting of course), but can an amp's power make a difference at any listening level, even including low volume?

Top Bottom