• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can someone recommend me a bass cannon headphone for EDM?

john5220

So far I seem to have narrowed it down to beyerdynamic DT 770 as the best bass headphones around for a reasonable price ever since jvc discontinued their ha sz 2000 headphones which I was told is the king of bass.

Too bad I never bought that JVC when I had the chance.......

Black Friday is coming up and I want to know if the dt 770 will have a huge improvement over my hd58x when it comes to slamming bass seeing as the 770 is closed back?

At the same time i once had a ath m50 and it hurt my ear drum badly because of the super tight leather seal that increases the pressure too much it was one of those really closed sounding headphones and I sold that rubbish.

I hope the dt 770 isnt as terrible but I do admit the m50 were the best bass cannon I ever heard but it's too much ear drum pressure

I hate closed back but I read the dt 770 sounds like open back similar to denon d2000?

Fluffy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The Fostex th900 and its family have massive sub bass. You should chek it out.
What about planars? they easily go down tightly to the lowest bass registers far better then dynamic drivers. My LCD2C go down to sub 20hz with no roll off or distortion. Though if it's the amount of bass you're after, and not tightness and deepness, these are maybe less optimal.

OP
J

john5220

Yeah but how expensive are those stuff?

Maybe the fostex x00 on sale for $330 on mass drop can work? Are ebony or purple heart better etc?

I once had a dennon d2000 and it was a beast when it came to bass while still sounding like open back

It didn't give me that nasty damaging ear drum high pressure bass that ath m50 did.
I feel like the leather and extreme clamp preasure seal might have made the m50 so damaging physically to my ear drum. Since fostex is old denon stuff I assume x00 is d2000 dennon with wooden cups ?

What was weird is the dennon d2000 was only like 25 ohms yet it was harder to drive than a hd 600

Fluffy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If the denon was so good, why get rid of it?

I think fostex makes headphones for denon, so they shuold be similar. I don't know what's the difference between the various fostex models.

I have the m50x, and I didn't experience any damaging pressure or something like that. They have nice tight bass with good punch but not overblown, and actually their treble is a lot more fatiguing.

With some amps, driving 25 ohm can be harder than 600 ohm.

OP
J

john5220

Yeah that was 10 years ago wish I kept the dennon but the plastic would rattle a lot when there was bass a common problem with the d2000 at the time so I sold it but the sound quality was just stunning

Between the m50 and dt 770 which u think is better for edm and has better bass?

Oukkidoukki

I have several headphones but keep going back to DT 770...overall they just work for bass heavy stuff and other things too.

dmac6419

Major Contributor
ncredible1 wired all bass more bass than the V moda m100 only 59 bucks or less

Top Bottom