• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can someone measure the digital output of Yamaha wxc50 , in preamp and player mode?

Tangband

Major Contributor
There is a lot of knowledge on this forum , and I want some help with something that Im sure many others also want to know about.
Its about the digital output from the Yamaha wxc50 . Its a streamer where you also can regulate the digital volume from the spdif outputs.
Very neat and would be perfect for everyone with digital inputs on their active loudspeakers such as Genelecs or using an external dac.

Problem is, my experience with this unit is that while it works perfectly, the sound is not really as transparent as a computer with a good DDC in my opinion .

I have looked everywhere for measurements of the digital output from the Yamaha wxc50, but havent found anything. It seems that the player in ”pre amp mode ” , where you can regulate the volume digitaly, is not as transparent sounding as the digital output in ” player mode ”. In preamp mode everything is resampled to 48 kHz.
I can hear this when using my Genelec 8340 with digital input.

This reviewer also hear what Im hearing:

I have no ability to measure the unit and hope that someone has done this and want to share it here . :)
Can one see in the measurements what can be heard while playing music ?

Last edited:

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It’s true that the resamping is not SOTA. That you can actually hear the difference however, is another matter. If you haven’t done a blind level matched test, any comparison will be colored.

As for the actual performance, it’s can be found on page 63 of this pdf.

OP
Tangband

Tangband

Major Contributor
It’s true that the resamping is not SOTA. That you can actually hear the difference however, is another matter. If you haven’t done a blind level matched test, any comparison will be colored.

As for the actual performance, it’s can be found on page 63 of this pdf.
Yes, that looks good enough. The chip YSS 952 inside the Yamaha doing the SRC to 48 kHz in preamp mode, has a SINAD of - 108 dB . About 18 bit resolution then . But this would probably be best case scenario with a perfect implementation , If one can trust the spec ?

Yamaha also talks about 48 bit resolution in the digital volume regulation which sounds fantastic but probably ain´t true.

Last edited:
Top Bottom