• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can someone help me with DAC measurements using REW please?

Nkam

Hello all,

if someone could walk me through doing some measurements with my RME PRO AD/AD to measure my Marantz HD DAC1.

i figured out how to do the FFT and Jitter

can someone show me how to do an intermodulation distortion test and possibly a test to see how the filter in the Marantz player slopes and where it cuts off? And maybe a Multitone ?

Below are the two measurements I took already.

i would really appreciate the help

thanks in advance !

Attachments

• 40F9EA9E-641C-4018-B825-E15B9CFDF7A2.jpeg
    40F9EA9E-641C-4018-B825-E15B9CFDF7A2.jpeg
    283.9 KB · Views: 56
  • 20F24F93-1BE8-45D6-A482-922E3344D78B.jpeg
    20F24F93-1BE8-45D6-A482-922E3344D78B.jpeg
    298 KB · Views: 56

staticV3

Master Contributor
can someone show me how to do an intermodulation distortion
For single point IMD, just switch the generator to Multitone and choose the test signal that you want. CCIF is the most common one.
For swept IMD, open the RTA window, then click on the Stepped Sine button.

and possibly a test to see how the filter in the Marantz player slopes and where it cuts off?
Set your generator to Random White Noise, then set your RTA to 32 or 64k, Forever AVGing, then start the recording and wait for the graph to clean up.
Note that this will record the combined filter response of DAC and ADC.

If you want to record the filter response of just the Marantz, then save the random white noise as a WAV at 44.1 or 48kHz, then play it back on the Marantz using e.g. foobar with playback set to loop and API either Wasapi Exclusive or ASIO.
Then disable the Marantz output in REW and set REW to 96kHz or more.
In REW, always use ASIO or Java EXCL if possible. Not regular Java.
Then start the recording and you'll record just the DAC response.

And maybe a Multitone ?
Set the REW generator to Multitone, then Custom, then configure it to your liking. Most common is /Oct spacing with resulting 32-33 tones 20-20kHz.

Top Bottom