• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can someone give me a link of cable blind test research papers?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I wouldn't be too disappointed...

Like we used to tell the cat - "Think about something else"

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
who whould you , if nothing changes there is nothing to test .(by nothing i mean that the signal is practically electrically the same , hence there is no mechanism for introducing any diffrence in sound).

It would be a repeat of another classic experiment if you play the same thing several times people do tend to thinks it's sounds diffrent.

One reason: as a puplicity stunt to prove that cables has no sound and spread the word about how snake oil the hifi bizz is :) done the rigth way one may cut trough the usual desinformation, like archimago tries to do .

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
However I've seen old blind tests on loudspeakers cables (sorry can not cite paper , old dead website) but then it was about finding the limits on audiability when there is one.
If the loudspeaker cable is thin and the loudspeaker impedance very low , you can find combinations that may be detectable in some cases because the signal does change a bit FR response and damping.
But the easy fix is thicker wire thats it , L and C has much less impact than R in a speaker wire , the test varied L & C to some extent but R was the main factor in speaker wire . Order of importance for spekar cables R;L;C given that no value is absurd .

They probaly chose to test speakerwire as it is the one that is most likely to be able to introduce a small difference .

Signal wires is more about decent design to reject noise and good conectors and overall mechanical quality , digital or video also have the impedance to get rigth .

OP
D

domisol24

However I've seen old blind tests on loudspeakers cables (sorry can not cite paper , old dead website) but then it was about finding the limits on audiability when there is one.
If the loudspeaker cable is thin and the loudspeaker impedance very low , you can find combinations that may be detectable in some cases because the signal does change a bit FR response and damping.
But the easy fix is thicker wire thats it , L and C has much less impact than R in a speaker wire , the test varied L & C to some extent but R was the main factor in speaker wire . Order of importance for spekar cables R;L;C given that no value is absurd .

They probaly chose to test speakerwire as it is the one that is most likely to be able to introduce a small difference .

Signal wires is more about decent design to reject noise and good conectors and overall mechanical quality , digital or video also have the impedance to get rigth .
I don't believe in audibility of different speaker cables, I just want to have a research paper so that I can cite it whenever I have to

OP
D

domisol24

I wouldn't be too disappointed...

Like we used to tell the cat - "Think about something else"
There were quite a lot of audibility tests on AES such as between 320kbps and uncompressed original, amplifier distortion, etc. Wondering whether some researcher did a research level test and had it posted online

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I don't believe in audibility of different speaker cables, I just want to have a research paper so that I can cite it whenever I have to

Look for the work of Fred Davis and Richard Greiner. This dates back a long time, and it's not exactly a research area that anyone serious works in, any more so than perpetual motion, cold fusion, and N-Rays. And the guys peddling this stuff will absolutely not do a solid test because they know what the results will be...

Burden of proof is on claimants, always remember that. If someone tells me that they have a machine that runs at 110% efficiency, it's not up to me to disprove it, it's up to them to prove it.

solderdude

Grand Contributor

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I cannot find a research paper about cable blind test.
I know there was one done at a UK University, Brunel I think but whether it was published or not I don't know.
I know about it because one of my acquaintances loaned his very expensive cables on request to be one of the test items.
He was very interested by the results since he found them a big gain when he listened at his dealers.
It turned out to be a nice money saver though since, as a fan, he sat in on the test and could not hear any difference himself in controlled conditions.
He sold them an bought something just as good for much less money and spent the proceeds on music.

OP
D

domisol24

IME those who believe that cables have a sound signature wouldn't trust AES paper anyway.
In my country quite a lot of myths are widespread because people in my country only read stuff in korean. I think quite a lot of people would change their minds if they read some research level papers.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Ive read some research papers that said it is measurable but I just want to know audibility. seems like this one is not about audibility.

Actually, it is- it shows the effects on frequency response, and we know that this is an audible effect if large enough. If small enough, it isn't. See also Greiner's papers.

Now if someone wants to demonstrate something beyond frequency response, great, but no-one has managed to do so yet (standard disclaimer: broken amplifiers can oscillate with some loads, but that's not a demonstration of cable audibility, it's a demonstration of amp design incompetence).

Burden of proof.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Couldn't read the paper so don't know.
On the other hand if measurements show it is within audibility levels I would be fine with the measurements as well.

Whether or not audible levels are reached depends on impedance variances, absolute values of that impedance, total cable resistance (length & diameter).

When using 10m of very thin lampcord on a e-stat or 1m of thick cable might well be audible in an AB test.

Also very high capacitance cables could well destabilize certain amps which also could be audible.
Otherwise I will concur it won't be audible.

Whenever I meet someone (online or RL) and they claim they can hear it I simply do not respond to that statement.
They made up their mind already. No point in trying to change it. It doesn't affect my life and have no intention to change his either.
When they ask I will tell them what I think I know. It is up to them to either do something with it, ignore it or assume what I said might be correct.

QMuse

Major Contributor
In my country quite a lot of myths are widespread because people in my country only read stuff in korean. I think quite a lot of people would change their minds if they read some research level papers.

Google translate doesn't work with english to korean translation?

OP
D

domisol24

Google translate doesn't work with english to korean translation?
recently quite okay but still not so good. People will use it if theyre given some document to read but they won't get into websites in English to search stuff.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
People will always believe what they want to believe.
I have only rarely witnessed people changing their minds, also not when showing them results obtained in a way they don't prefer (blind tests)

Hipper

Addicted to Fun and Learning
We have tests on this site which show that competently designed DACs sound the same but that there are many DACs, including some (previously) well thought of named DACs, on the market which apparently are not competently designed and they sound not only different but worse.

There are at least a couple of cable tests on this site:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-high-end-usb-cables-make-a-difference.11272/

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...sis-plus-oval-digital-xlr-cable-review.11271/

Like DACs it is surely possible that cables sound different because of the competency of their design so I would suggest it is still necessary to test cables to find the good ones.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Copper is good.

Plastic is ok at home.

Glass is best if going intercity and beyond.

Top Bottom