• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can someone educate me on what I need to stream music files with an Octo dac8, and 3 way active speakers?

goryu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I thought I could just use an older mac mini to feed music files from external hard drives and perhaps Tidal, Amazon Prime Music or the like, do dsp crossovers and possibly room correction, and route the output from the mac mini via usb to the Octo dac8, then to my amps which will feed my magnapan tympani iva's. I was thinking I could control the selection of files from the hard drives and from the streaming services with my iphone. Sounds reasonable? Any recommendations on software? I see a variety of streaming devices but not sure if any are going to output multichannel to the dac...or maybe I don't need to? New at this, sorry! Thanks.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Roon could probably do that. So also JRiver. Programs that provide just crossovers include Ekio and DePhonica. APO Equalizer can do crossover filters as can RePhase. Finally Audiolense XO will do crossovers, and room and speaker correction for a premium price ($500+USD).

Some involve more sweat equity than others. I can testify from personal experience that Ekio and DePhonica are very straightforward and intuitive. Ekio also can do EQ and most nearly resembles the interface on the miniDSP plugins.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Also if you are running a crossover on your computer, make sure you are bypassing the passive crossover on the Maggies.

Top Bottom