• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can someone compare these, please?

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
I’m soon to be making a decision, and I’d like the help of those more knowledgable then myself.

The choice is between the new Topping D10 Balanced DAC + SMSL SH8S headphone amp.

Or the new Topping EX5 DAC/amp.

Amir’s reviews here:

Topping D10 Balanced https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/topping-d10-balanced-review-usb-dac.25094/

SMSL SH-8S https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/smsl-sh-8s-review-headphone-amplifier.22569/

Topping EX5 https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...ex5-review-dac-and-headphone-amplifier.24341/

I’m not wanting the best figures for purposes of bragging rights, I’m just after a product(s) to sit in between my PC and a pair of headphones (Sennheiser HD600) and be transparent to the source.

I’m currently leaning to the EX5, but is there anything it can’t do, or can’t do as well as the others.

I’ve had separate windows open for all 3 reviews, flipping back and forth between them, and I think the EX5 looks good enough, but I have enough humility to realise that I may well be missing something.

Comments please. Many thanks.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I would get the EX5 only because it is all in one with already excellent low distortion and power. No need to have 2 boxes doing almost the same.

Last edited:

jawbfl

I think it's best to wait as all those units are new and there aren't many reviews/users to find possible QC issues. EX5 is great if you want no upgradability, basically an A30Pro with a free D10b with bluetooth in one box. If you want to upgrade the DAC I'd get SH9 instead of SH8s because of the volume control with a step attenuator, screen, remote and the other features worth the extra if you wait for it to drop to $260 or less which happens from time to time. D10b is top on my list for a cheap balanced DAC but as stated I'd wait for more reviews and QC reports.

Lupin

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Another vote for the Topping EX5 from me.

Added bonus is that i will look better then the D10d/SH-8s stack... at least I can't stand a stack that is not made of matched components :)

OP
Yorkshire Mouth

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
Many thanks to everyone for taking a little time to help me out with this.

I won’t be wanting to ‘upgrade’ anything. My hope is to buy something transparent to the source, then enjoy ‘perfect sound forever’, for this of you who remember that marketing slogan.

All for the EX5 at the moment. Anyone want to argue the other way, even if only playing Devil’s Advocate?

Anyone notice anything about the EX5 which suggests it’s not transparent to the source?

Thanks again.

Veri

Master Contributor
The EX5 headphone output uses a 4-pin XLR connector, but it is an SE output rather than a balanced output. It is the same output as the 6.3mm TRS output. Please understand this in advance.
Yup so don't reterminate headphones to XLR for no reason, it will not give extra power should that be your goal.

OP
Yorkshire Mouth

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
The EX5 headphone output uses a 4-pin XLR connector, but it is an SE output rather than a balanced output. It is the same output as the 6.3mm TRS output. Please understand this in advance.

Yup so don't reterminate headphones to XLR for no reason, it will not give extra power should that be your goal.

Thanks.

As far as I can tell, I don’t need the extra power needed from a balanced output, and I have no intention of upgrading/swapping my headphones. As such, it appears to me that this shouldn’t be an issue for me.

Do I have that right?

Top Bottom