• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can small Genelec speakers be used horizontally?

DLS79

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I'm planning out an upgrade for my home desk/office space. As I work through the process one thing has become abundantly clear, finding the space to set everything up ergonomically is going to be a problem. With that being said I've been trying to pick out the best reference monitors for the space available on my desk.

Can small genelecs like the 8010, 8020, & 8030 be mounted horizontally in their Iso-Pods?

I haven't seen anything in documentation that's definitely says yes or no. The only thing I've found is Genelec warning about potential acoustic issues.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
You'll get a head-in-a-vise situation, since the horizontal dispersion with smooth directivity probably will be limited to something like +/- 20 degrees, or even less.

OP
D

DLS79

Forum Donor
You'll get a head-in-a-vise situation, since the horizontal dispersion with smooth directivity probably will be limited to something like +/- 20 degrees, or even less.

sorry, I'm still a newb, are you saying how they sound will be Very dependent on where I am setting?

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Yes. Having a tweeter and a mid/midwoofer next to each other will cause problems with directivity in the plane they share,not matter what you do.

That's why speaker designers choose the over-and-under configuration and place the ugliness in the vertical plane. They focus on keeping the horizontal plane as smooth as possible, since the listener is much more likely to shift their position side to side than up and down.

Another downside (no pun intended) to putting them on their side is that it's not only the direct sound that gets problematic. You'll also get some ugly side wall reflections to deal with if you move towards far field listening.

It's a mess. But thankfully the brain isn't discriminative enough to make is as agonizing at it might seem.

OP
D

DLS79

Forum Donor
I guess i will have to deal with a less than i deal off access setup then, because I can't do the on poles firing down over the monitors thing (swmbo won't go for that).

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe a coaxial like a Kef is more appropriate?

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
D

DLS79

Forum Donor
Maybe a coaxial like a Kef is more appropriate?

The big issue for me is the size of the speakers.

I did a physical mockup last night, and the speakers can't be more than about 6 - 6.5" tall to fit under the computer monitors. The height limitation seems to limit me to the Kali IN-UNF style semi spherical speakers.

OP
D

DLS79

Forum Donor
Or upgrade to the 83X1 series, if you have the budget for it.

In a word no. The 83X1 can.

Yea, my budget doesn't go that high, and it looks like 8331s are to big anyway.

Here is a screen shot of the less than ideal set-up withs 8020s. For reference everything is to scale and the desk is 96" x 36". It will only have 3 or 4 inches of clearance to the walls on the sides and back!
desk.png

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Can you hang speakers from the ceiling?

OP
D

DLS79

Forum Donor
Can you hang speakers from the ceiling?

on the wall, roof, or stands firing down over the monitors is a no go with my wife.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ahh "TWF". Got it.

Top Bottom