• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can REW Measure External Source?

AudioSQ

I measured my system with REW, had it generate some PEQ filters and plugged those into Moode. What I would like to do is measure the results of those filters to see what the curve looks like after. Is there any good way to measure sound played through the PI using Moode? Thanks!

levimax

Major Contributor
I measured my system with REW, had it generate some PEQ filters and plugged those into Moode. What I would like to do is measure the results of those filters to see what the curve looks like after. Is there any good way to measure sound played through the PI using Moode? Thanks!
Yes, use the REW tone generator to create a sweep wave file with a timing tone and then play the wave file sweep back through Moode and measure response. Details in REW docs or Google.

levimax

Major Contributor
You can use the moving mike method as well. I haven't tried it yet, but you can Google it.
Yes that is what I usually do.... You can create a periodic pink noise .wav file in REW and play it back with EQ and measure results.

OP
AudioSQ

AudioSQ

Thanks! The moving mic method seems to be easier, much faster, and produces better results than running sweeps and moving the mic around. Much appreciated.

I've posted the results below, 1/12 smoothing. The blue is before EQ and green is after. I didn't do any EQ below 100hz, I handle that from the dsp built in the amp. I had below 80 pretty flat (although a bit hot) using sweeps, but obviously get a different result from the moving mic method so back to work on that one. Woo are they hot.

The sound was played from different sources, but I think I did a pretty good job of lining up the squiggles. The EQ did bring down the elevated blue line in general, but it's still a bit jagged below 600hz, and I have a huge hole at 211hz. Any ideas on fixes for those? Change the parameters of what I'll allow for EQ? Do a manual EQ for the hole? Cry salty tears because my rooms not perfect and I have to live with it? Any feedback is appreciated!
Comparison 6-26-2021.jpg

Top Bottom