• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can Purifi's SPK5 be improved with a passive radiator?

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Would two side PR be advantageous for getting a kind of cardiod bass/midrange or am I now too optimistic and is at the back the best location and why?

I do not have much experience with cardioid design, but have studied Linkwitz’s work and so would suggest you check into it as well. For the Purifi designs, I am not aware of any attempt to create a cardioid response. The placement of the passive radiators appears more of a cabinet design choice. This is the case for Directiva as well.

From what I have studied, getting a cardioid response is going to require more active drivers than passive ones. If you look at the primary SPL output from a passive radiator, its contribution is below 100 Hz. So really not able to influence midrange radiation pattern much.

Last edited:
Top Bottom