• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can Powernode drive LS50 meta? Can KEF LSX2 be used as rear speakers in Home Theatre config?

pat355

Hello everyone,

it is my first post here :) thank you for having me.

I am planning my first purchase of "higher-end" equipment than what i have had so far. I have read a lot here and elsewhere about use cases, product review etc. Great community by the way.
I listen to music with Tidal, and I want to use the system also as home theatre. I understand this hybrid model isn't necessarily ideal but I don't want a ton of gear.
Also, SQ for music is more important than the home theatre use case.

My Living room is about 30m2, I watch a 55" LG Oled TV (w/ Dolby Atmos) at about 3m from the screen.

My plan:
1- integrated streamer/amp: Bluenode Powernode N330
2- a pair of KEF LS50 meta
3- KEF KC62 as sub
4- buy a separate roon ready server for my music collection
5- LSX2 or something similar for rear speakers?

To my questions:
1- does the plan make sense in terms of how the different pieces work together? esp Bluesound Powernode N330 driving the LS50 meta
2- is it possible with this planned set-up to use KEF LSX2 as rear speakers?

Thanks a lot in advance!
Pat

Darvis

It's very elegant and clean looking but also quite complex and not flexible at the same time. Why not a "normal" avr with proper bass management, every sound format, room tuning, preouts etc?

OP
P

pat355

It's very elegant and clean looking but also quite complex and not flexible at the same time. Why not a "normal" avr with proper bass management, every sound format, room tuning, preouts etc?
thanks for your answer, and here I was thinking my idea was "simple", lol! again, I'm a noob so forgive me if my answer is a bit naive but I thought an AVR is more targeted to home theatre use cases whereas I first want something that will sound really good for music playback. I thought this set-up actually gave me more flexibility, not less?

TSX

I would not buy a Powernote for any serious hiif listening. All the YouTube N330 reviews are very biased. Actually almost every YouTube hifi review I’ve wasted my time on is biased. I’ve tried the N330 against a 20 year old Rotel 1062, on a pair of DLS R55 floor standers, and the Rotel wipes it’s behind with the N330 In every regard sound wise. Also the top touch panel is a joke, and very unresponsive.

just my two cents.

edit| autocomplete typo

Last edited:

Darvis

The common knowledge is that modern amplifier, driven within their limits, are more or less indistinguishable from each other. In other words, a non-crappy not-mistreated amplifier will sound as transparent as it gets. Of course, there is still the questions of looks, power, reliability, function, heat and so on.

OP
P

pat355

I would not buy a Powernote for any serious hiif listening. All the YouTube N330 reviews are very biased. Actually almost every YouTube hiding review I’ve wasted my time on is biased. I’ve tried the N330 against a 20 year old Rotel 1062, on a pair of DLS R55 floor standers, and the Rotel wipes it’s behind with the N330 In every regard sound wise. Also the top touch panel is a joke, and very unresponsive.

just my two cents.
thanks, so what would be a better alternative to look at?

OP
P

pat355

Are you ok with wires going to the rear speakers? Because you could save some money that way with the same SQ
unfortunately the cables will run right through the living room...ugly

TSX

thanks, so what would be a better alternative to look at?
I’ve been on the same route as you, I have acknowledged that for best performances, one has to chose between hifi and home theatre. Have you considered the Sonos route for tour TV? Arc in front, and Play’s in the back?

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you want to use LSX 2, you probably need to make certain it has analog inputs for each speaker so you can power them from your AV receiver, and you would also need to be certain your receiver could send just the preamplified but not the amplified signal. Also, it would probably be cheaper and just as good to look for the original LSX inasmuch as they would probably be selling a a deep discount and would serve just as well in this non-critical use case. And yes either should do nicely. When I got my LS 50 Metas last year, I moved my original LS 50's to surround duty where they sound just fine.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How so? Decent AVR are as transparent as any boutique hi-fi amplifier.
It’s not the amp but total planning of your space. You will want to target headroom more in your equipment. You will want more diffusion than absorption. You will optimize for multiple listening positions to the detriment of the single position for stereo. Lots of differences.

piotr_sc

Hello, is the powernode for Kef ls50 meta enough to sound the +- 25m2 room? Do I need a more powerful amp for these speakers? I was thinking, for example, about Nad m10 because it has Dirac Live. Or maybe it's better to get all in one Wireless versions with built-in amplifiers etc?

Top Bottom