• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can music with extreme bass damage speakers even at not so high volumes?

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’d expect my speakers would go early in a group test for this issue

D

Deleted member 48726

Language barrier? In case one has to think of the speakers while using the high fidelity system for music reproduction, it fails to work. Because the very purpose of the speakers is to make themselves forgotten in favour of the music. So, if speakers always remind the user of themselves, they are not high fidelity.

In this case here the speakers make the user even fear some bigger financial losses in form of the expected destruction of presumably costly devices. Now You get what I'm after? Better to change the speakers to something more suitable.
That's a very imaginative and fluffy description / definition of HiFi you have there.

I think the definition is in the abbreviation; High Fidelity. Meaning a system able to reproduce the music to a higher degree of exactness than average. So you can listen to HiFi music and think about whatever you like during. It's not up to definition how people enjoy music differently.

gnarly

Major Contributor
Seems You didn't get my caveat / recommendation quite right. I've explained it further in post #17.
Thank you for the redirection.

I still don't understand that caveat though....because for me tactile bloodily sensations are just another physical stimulus from audio.
Just like hearing is a physical stimulus from audio.

It would seem by your caveat, if my mind pays attention to either hearing or tactile sensations, my speakers are failing to do their purpose because they are not forgotten.
Isn't that just a matter of where our attention is? And has nothing to do with what type system can produce true hi-fi?

I feel strongly that our body, not just our ears, participates in the perception of sound.
And i think many others do too, if evidenced by no more than an often desire for their speakers to produce a kick-drum thump in the chest.

fineMen

Major Contributor
Thank you for the redirection.

I still don't understand that caveat though....because for me tactile bloodily ...
I referred to "feel" the speakers more in a sense of being aware, that the speakers are there as a technical apparatus. One has them in mind. In this particular case as some kind of a fear. Namely that they would fail sooner or later.

You refer to feeling the music--not the speakers, don't You?

Anyway, reiterated: the above specified recording doesn't comprise bass ...

D

Deleted member 48726

I referred to "feel" the speakers more in a sense of being aware, that the speakers are there as a technical apparatus. One has them in mind. In this particular case as some kind of a fear. Namely that they would fail sooner or later.

You refer to feeling the music--not the speakers, don't You?

Anyway, reiterated: the above specified recording doesn't comprise bass ...
I think that you should be able to listen to HiFi music and at the same time be aware of other things. Otherwise I would advice you to not have something in the oven whilst listening to music.. ;)

fineMen

Major Contributor
I think that you should be able to listen to HiFi music and at the same time be aware of other things. Otherwise I would advice you to not have something in the oven whilst listening to music.. ;)
Sure, most of us listen to music only to once again confirm the excellence of the speakers. I'm serious with that, no offense, no apologies.
From that perspective my advice to get those nasty thingies out of the o/p's mind may have been hard to grasp.

Funny coincidence, though: those tiny little up-market marvels are "felt" to be doomed by doom-metal. (Is it the right terminology?) If so: "Mission accomplished!" To feel the doom, the music wins.

:cool:

Robin L

Master Contributor
The answer is yes if the bass is very low in frequency and set at a level equal to the singer or other instruments. Like this one. Sarah McLachlan's "I Love You" blew out a driver of a Paradigm "Atom" at a moderate volume via a powerful (Kenwood 9600 receiver) with the bass further cranked:

D

Deleted member 48726

Sure, most of us listen to music only to once again confirm the excellence of the speakers. I'm serious with that, no offense, no apologies.
From that perspective my advice to get those nasty thingies out of the o/p's mind may have been hard to grasp.

Funny coincidence, though: those tiny little up-market marvels are "felt" to be doomed by doom-metal. (Is it the right terminology?) If so: "Mission accomplished!" To feel the doom, the music wins.

:cool:
I don't get what you're trying to convey. Maybe that's the point.

Top Bottom