• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can jitter sound “nice”

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
...At these prices, I should getting orally serviced by the staff member of my choice...

1553039832312.png

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
But in the analog domain the speed changes smoothly over a very long period (a half turn of the vinyl)

Not true at all. Analogue speed variations are all over the shop in rate of change. Wow is low frequency variations and flutter are higher frequency variations.

The motor spindle bearings, spindle pulley eccentricities/surface finish on a belt drive all contribute to flutter, as does cartridge, arm and arm bearings.

Record spindle, platter run out/eccentricities all contribute to the Wow component, as does overall long term motor rotational stability.

In my testing over the decades, belt drive turntables often have high Wow and high Flutter. It is very rare in my experience to see high flutter in quality direct drives.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Hey Don. Hope you are doing OK.

Yes, thanks, rough week (death in family, happened more quickly than anyone expected, and thanks to the blizzard last week I wasn't able to make the funeral :( ).

jsrtheta

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Yes, thanks, rough week (death in family, happened more quickly than anyone expected, and thanks to the blizzard last week I wasn't able to make the funeral :( ).

Very sorry to hear that. That can be brutal, I know.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor

Our thoughts are with you and your family Don.

Empirical Audio

Audio Company
On the topic of jitter being pleasing to some.... I have witnessed this in the past. I even noticed myself that jitter of the right spectrum can actually be perceived as an increase in volume or even an "airiness". Reducing it usually has the effect of eliminating false venue reflections and the space between instruments being filled with something that's not actually in the recording. Usually results in more blackness between instruments/vocalists and better focus of each instrument or vocalist. I have some guitar tracks that include 2 and 3 guitars, some fairly closely spaced. With relatively low jitter, most cannot detect more than 1 or 2 guitars. With really low jitter, the 2 and 3 guitars are immediately obvious.

Depends on the amplitude and spectra though. Trying to describe jitter as one thing is probably not useful. I have heard so many different manifestations. Even a hardness in the sound quality.

Top Bottom