• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can increased voltage improve measurements? (SPL - sound performance lab, and T+A)

dep14

So I'm interested to hear what those more technically adept than myself feel about this.

SPL (sound performance lab) and T+A both out of Germany are using proprietary technology to allow for higher voltages inside their pre-amps, amps, combo pre-amp DAC's, DAC's etc.

The Director MKII from SPL looks like a particularly nice piece that uses their Voltair tech.

I found this little youtube presentation of their tech. I was interested to hear what others here thought?

https://spl.audio/en/spl-produkt/director-mk2/

solderdude

Grand Contributor
When you look at a cheap amp like the L30 it seems to me that such high voltage rails aren't really needed to get 114dB of dynamic range.
Seems that it is more a marketing gimmick than anything else.

Of course, when the noise floor is a certain value and you can't get it lower than only increasing the voltage span (and thus higher voltage rails and gain is needed) you can increase the S/N ratio. That high gain needs to be undone later though to get sensible gain and output voltage levels.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
The SPL gear is almost there aesthetically for me. If they'd just clean up the front panel lettering, placement and fonts so they don't look like old-skool clip art.

Otherwise I'd be happy to have a stack of that gear in silver, including a few of the mono powere amps.

OP
D

dep14

The SPL gear is almost there aesthetically for me. If they'd just clean up the front panel lettering, placement and fonts so they don't look like old-skool clip art.

Otherwise I'd be happy to have a stack of that gear in silver, including a few of the mono powere amps.

The gear has an overall nice look. I dig the Director MKII look, and reviews are very good. Being pro-audio gives me confidence the measurements are likely strong.

But wondering about this voltage thing...

Top Bottom