• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can I use TS cables with these headphones?

lupin3rd

I'm in kind of a pickle, I bought some headphones that went through this dual balanced mod on Etsy but it's been 2 days and the seller still has not responded to my inquiry so I have no clue whether or not I can use TS cables like this meze cable.

This is what he says on his listing:
With dual sided balanced mod, I will take out the stock cable, and the wire running to the right side driver, and then put a 3.5mm female jack on each side. By default, each jack will be wired as TS, as this is the most common dual 3.5mm cable configuration. If you are using a dual 3.5mm cable already from a different set of headphones, and are unsure if it will work with my dual sided mod, message me on Etsy to discuss. The holes left by the left-to-right cable will be sealed with hot glue. If you don't know what balanced is, you most likely don't need this mod.

As a complete newbie, if it's "wired as TS" that means on paper I should be able to use the meze TS cables I mentioned with no issues right? It will just be plugged into my JDS atom amp and I still haven't the slightest clue what balanced/TS/TRS/TSTSTSEST means.

Weeb Labs

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'm in kind of a pickle, I bought some headphones that went through this dual balanced mod on Etsy but it's been 2 days and the seller still has not responded to my inquiry so I have no clue whether or not I can use TS cables like this meze cable.

As a complete newbie, if it's "wired as TS" that means on paper I should be able to use the meze TS cables I mentioned with no issues right? It will just be plugged into my JDS atom amp and I still haven't the slightest clue what balanced/TS/TRS/TSTSTSEST means.
You may use a TRS to dual TS cable for unbalanced sources or a TRRS to dual TS cable for balanced sources.

atr6250x_03.png

Last edited:
OP
L

lupin3rd

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Yes, you can use that cable.

TS= Tip/ sleeve (or one plastic ring/divider)
TRS= Tip/ring/sleeve ( 2 plastic rings)
TRRS= you guessed it

BUT that Meze cable isnt a balanced cable. So why have you spent $80 on a balanced mod to run them single ended?

OP
L

lupin3rd

Yes, you can use that cable.

TS= Tip/ sleeve (or one plastic ring/divider)
TRS= Tip/ring/sleeve ( 2 plastic rings)
TRRS= you guessed it

BUT that Meze cable isnt a balanced cable. So why have you spent $80 on a balanced mod to run them single ended?
I didn't, I bought the headphones from someone that already paid for the mod. Is it bad to run it single-ended?

Weeb Labs

I didn't, I bought the headphones from someone that already paid for the mod. Is it bad to run it single-ended?
Not at all.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Ah right- no nothing wrong at all. You can plug balanced headphones into single ended amps- you cant plug unbalanced headphones into balanced amps even if you buy an adapter. (the only benefit of running headphones balanced is you get more voltage but if you dont need it, no worries)

EDIT- hifiman cables (as a rule) are pretty crap by the way but there are lots of aftermarket dual 3.5mm cables out there

Last edited:

Weeb Labs

you cant plug unbalanced headphones into balanced amps even if you buy an adapter
For clarity, this means the balanced output of an amplifier. Most balanced amplifiers do include unbalanced outputs and you can use those.

OP
L

lupin3rd

Ah right- no nothing wrong at all. You can plug balanced headphones into single ended amps- you cant plug unbalanced headphones into balanced amps even if you buy an adapter. (the only benefit of running headphones balanced is you get more voltage but if you dont need it, no worries)

EDIT- hifiman cables (as a rule) are pretty crap by the way but there are lots of aftermarket dual 3.5mm cables out there
Hold up, I'm using a JDS atom amp which has I believe has the one balanced output?, and I'm currently using an HD6xx with what I believe are unbalanced cables. Am I... doing this wrong?

I say hifiman cables because I find it hard to look up dual 3.5mm cables otherwise. Maybe there's a more proper term... but I find I gotta add like "hifiman" if I'm looking for TRS cables or "meze" for TS cables lol.

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hold up, I'm using a JDS atom amp which has I believe has the one balanced output?, and I'm currently using an HD6xx with what I believe are unbalanced cables. Am I... doing this wrong?

I say hifiman cables because I find it hard to look up dual 3.5mm cables otherwise. Maybe there's a more proper term... but I find I gotta add like "hifiman" if I'm looking for TRS cables or "meze" for TS cables lol.

The Atom has a single ended output. 3.5mm and 6.35mm are (almost) always single ended connections. Left and right channels share the same ground- so at the amp end the plug has a tip a middle section (ring) and a sleeve end - dont ask me what the convention is for which bit is L, R and Ground but there is one.

Balanced connections need separate ground connectors at the amp end - so the jack styles (usually 4.4mm or 2,5mm) have TRRS at the amp end. Or there is the XLR style connection at the amp end which has a wide barrel style connector with 4 individual pins.

To be absolutely clear, those headphones with that meze cable you posted and the Atom will be fine (assuming you have a 3.5mm to 6.35 mm adapter of course like these $1 , usually bundled with most headphones in the box) https://cpc.farnell.com/pro-signal/...PING&s_kwcid=AL!5616!3!426684131033!!!network}!896142892528!&gclid=CjwKCAjwh5qLBhALEiwAioodsyCgrCoM5bwlpUsazFM7hIxmutdr3eZRgRH1r6LFYqIOdDktti7c5RoCNqEQAvD_BwE

OP
L

lupin3rd

The Atom has a single ended output. 3.5mm and 6.35mm are (almost) always single ended connections. Left and right channels share the same ground- so at the amp end the plug has a tip a middle section (ring) and a sleeve end - dont ask me what the convention is for which bit is L, R and Ground but there is one.

Balanced connections need separate ground connectors at the amp end - so the jack styles (usually 4.4mm or 2,5mm) have TRRS at the amp end. Or there is the XLR style connection at the amp end which has a wide barrel style connector with 4 individual pins.

To be absolutely clear, those headphones with that meze cable you posted and the Atom will be fine (assuming you have a 3.5mm to 6.35 mm adapter of course like these $1 , usually bundled with most headphones in the box) https://cpc.farnell.com/pro-signal/...PING&s_kwcid=AL!5616!3!426684131033!!!network}!896142892528!&gclid=CjwKCAjwh5qLBhALEiwAioodsyCgrCoM5bwlpUsazFM7hIxmutdr3eZRgRH1r6LFYqIOdDktti7c5RoCNqEQAvD_BwE
Ah, I see. Thanks! You guys have been very helpful!

MrOtto

Anybody used TS jacks on Hifiman headpones? Why do they use TRS jacks?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Anybody used TS jacks on Hifiman headpones? Why do they use TRS jacks?
TS works on my 4XX and HE6 SE2. I think I have seen others more knowledgeable say that for dual cup designs it doesnt matter but manufs just buy a job lot of TRS 3.5mm to cover all possible avenues, single sided entry and use at the amp end of the cable etc

MrOtto

Excellent, I found a nice price on XLR balanced 3 meter cable for my HE400SE v2.

Top Bottom