• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can I use a Genelec subwoofer with Adams for a 5.1 surround setup?

Softimage

Hello ASR,

I'm trying to finish building out my 5.1 surround setup in my home studio. I currently have two Adam A77Xs and three Adam A7Xs working with a MOTU UltraLite mk5. I'm getting ready to buy a subwoofer and I've been disappointed with the Adam subwoofer options as they are not designed for LFE, 5.1, or 7.1 surround.

I'm currently trying to decide between two 8" Genelec subwoofers, the 7050C or 7350A SAM. It seems like the 7050C would work as it has manual onboard bass control switches. I could also get the 7350A SAM, but I was wondering if trying to configure the subwoofer via the GLM software was going to be a problem with analog Adams?

I'm just not that familiar with the world of Genelecs, so any advice would be appreciated!

Last edited:
OP
Softimage

Softimage

Update: Reply from Genelec support: "The 7050C will work best with your current Adam speakers. The 7050C has a built-in 85Hz crossover as well as the LFE input. The 7350A does not have the additional fixed 85Hz crossover for use with Non-Genelec GLM-based loudspeakers. Going bigger to the 7360A, however, would give you both options of using the fixed crossover and the use of GLM for calibrating the subwoofer."

OP
Softimage

Softimage

Update: Reply from Genelec support with more info on using a 7360A with the analog Adams: "The 7360A subwoofer's level will have to be adjusted to match the analog monitors. If you decide not to use GLM, there is a rotary level adjustment on the sub you can use for manual changes. It has 18 dB of range.

In GLM, you can adjust the level of the subwoofer down 60dB (which is way more than you will need). This can be adjusted manually, outside of the calibration process.

I believe with the level adjustments available, you will be able to use the larger 7360A. Of course, reverberation in the room may attribute to your perceptual experience of low-end. Positioning of the subwoofer as well as the listening position will have an impact, especially in a smaller room."

Top Bottom