• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can I plug a Zen Air DAC straight into a TV?

lupin3rd

I use a QN90A as my monitor for my PC and my PS5, so I want to plug a Zen Air DAC straight into the TV rather than the PC.

Here are the ports on the back. The Zen Air DAC seems to need only 5v & 0.5a, so I can just simply plug the DAC's USB straight into either of the USB ports, right...?

antcollinet

Master Contributor
You can't normally send audio from the USB of a TV - they are more inteneded for attaching USB storage with media on them.

You'll need to use the optical output from the TV into your DAC. But the Zen Air has no optical input so I don't think you are going to get this to work.

staticV3

Master Contributor
The TV won't output audio via USB.
Here are all connection types you can use to connect external audio devices:
Screenshot_20221220-191219_Drive.png

Edit: what @tonycollinet said. Since the Zen Air DAC's only input is USB, you won't be able to connect it to your TV, unless you put something like a Raspberry Pi in between (TV->Toslink->Toslink to USB Adapter->Pi->USB->Zen).

Last edited:
OP
L

lupin3rd

Thank you guys!! Guess I'll just get the Zen CAN then since that will be way easier to setup.

OP
L

lupin3rd

That is a headphone amp - not a dac.
Yea, I have a DAC already hooked up via optical to pair with my JDS atom amp. Was kinda hoping I could replace both with the Zen DAC but I guess I'll just replace the JDS atom amp with the Zen CAN

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Yea, I have a DAC already hooked up via optical to pair with my JDS atom amp. Was kinda hoping I could replace both with the Zen DAC but I guess I'll just replace the JDS atom amp with the Zen CAN
OK - that makes sense then.

Top Bottom