• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can I move things in room after calibration?

unloren

I recently took the plunge and bought Sonarworks for room correction eq. I was taken aback by how loud the speakers have to be during the calibration process. Living in an apartment in Tokyo, the calibration process was a nerve wracking experience, not only because of the noise but because the calibration tones very closely resemble our earthquake early warning system alerts. I had to notify the neighbors beforehand that I would be calibrating my speakers for the next 20 minutes.

Because of the trouble caused during the calibration procedure I'm reluctant to run it again if possible, but I'm worried that if I move furniture around in my room I'm going to lose the benefits of the calibration. Most of the correction is at 600hz and down. Is this a range that is affected by things like boxes and keyboards or more the room shape itself? Or rather, up to what frequencies are being affected by the shape of the room and not the things inside of it?

I should add, the speakers are Geithain RL906 so the rolloff begins above 50hz.

Thanks

Attachments

• tempImageWpVRl6.png
    tempImageWpVRl6.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 85

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Moving things around is not a big deal, as long as the total number of things in the room doesn’t change.

Moving the speakers or the listening position though even few cm will change the response significantly.

Dal1as

Unless it's something large like a couch or large cabinet it shouldn't matter. Just don't move the listening position or speakers.

OP
U

unloren

Thanks for the replies.

Is it okay to change the EQ settings on the rear of the monitors or will that throw off the measurements?

Balle Clorin

Major Contributor
Moving things around is not a big deal, as long as the total number of things in the room doesn’t change.

Moving the speakers or the listening position though even few cm will change the response significantly.
Wrong. right.

I do not see why calibration has to be so loud. 73-75db is sufficient for my Trinnov . Any calibration above 85db seem just silly to me.

GalZohar

As said, usually calibration sounds are 75db, so I wonder why you get ones so loud you are worried about neighbors.

As for moving things, the bigger they are and the closer they are to the speakers, the more effect they will have. Moving a keyboard is going to have no real effect. Sure the biggest factor is room shape (walls), speaker positions and listening position(s), but once you have a lot of (or large) furniture in the room it'll have some effect as well.

OP
U

unloren

I wonder if Trinnov has a more efficient microphone with that three-pronged design...? I was surprised how loud it had to be as well. The Sonarworks calibration has a setup procedure that sets a minimum volume threshold before it will begin and that's how loud it had to be before it would start. I'll try again with a lower volume and see if it works.

dasdoing

Major Contributor
I removed a big wardrobe from my backwall and it had a huge impact; to the point that it seamed to be another room.
smaller things will have impact too if there is any direct sound reflecting from them

Dal1as

I removed a big wardrobe from my backwall and it had a huge impact; to the point that it seamed to be another room.
smaller things will have impact too if there is any direct sound reflecting from them
Yep. I had a few big plastic totes filled with boxes and Christmas decorations in the back of my room for a few days and they acted like a sort of bass trap. It was quite noticable.

C0B-1D3-9

Yep. I had a few big plastic totes filled with boxes and Christmas decorations in the back of my room for a few days and they acted like a sort of bass trap. It was quite noticable.
I have the same question as well. The only change is I moved one of two air purifiers from the side of the seat to the back wall. I measured when one was on the side and one on the back wall. I am unsure how big of an impact that would be for a tiny 400 sqft apartment.

Top Bottom