• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can I leave my Heresy powered on all the time?

TechEnthusiast

Currently using a Heresy as my headphone amp as well as preamp to my desktop speakers. I have noticed that it runs very cool as opposed to my Liquid Spark that it replaced. Would it be ok to leave it on all the time?

Slayer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Currently using a Heresy as my headphone amp as well as preamp to my desktop speakers. I have noticed that it runs very cool as opposed to my Liquid Spark that it replaced. Would it be ok to leave it on all the time?
Have you contacted Schitt to see what they do and don't recommend?

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Don’t sweat it; keep it on if you like.

JSmith

Master Contributor

jasonhanjk

The alu cap have a certain lifespan when power is kept on. Just remember to change them after many years later.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Assuming Schiit uses uber crappy 85oC capacitors with a lifespan of just 1000 hrs and not used in SMPS then at 85oC it can last 40 days.
Every 10 degrees lower the lifespan doubles.
Assuming the Heresy is not getting warmer than 35oC internally, on average, over the years, then the caps will last at least 3.5 years
When these 85oC caps are 5000 hrs then 17 years.

Should they be using 105oC capacitors with a lifespan of merely 2000 hrs then 30 years of service is not a problem.

Last edited:

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The alu cap have a certain lifespan when power is kept on. Just remember to change them after many years later.
A Heresy costs something like $99. Unless you recap it yourself, it's likely to be cheaper to just buy a new one if it shows signs of decline. You could sell the old one to someone with a soldering station.

OP
T

TechEnthusiast

Here is what Schiit had to say about leaving it on all the time:

Tom E (Schiit Audio)
Jun 3, 2022, 07:31 PDT
Hello,

Yes that is perfectly fine.
All the Best,
Tom E.

Dan M
Jun 2, 2022, 14:40 PDT
Is it ok to leave the Heresy plugged in and turned on 24/7?

Sent from Mail for Windows

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Yeah I don't really see what the problem would be. Since the capacitors are not under load they really should not degrade anyways.

Top Bottom