• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can I Flip My Kef Q950s Horizontally?

loddie88

I'm putting together a home theater in a small office and have gone with a huge (probably too big) screen which will limit the height of my front LCR quite heavily. To get around this and maximize room space I'd like to place my DIY subs at the front of the room (as long as this placement doesn't measure terribly) and place my LCR speakers horizontally on top of them. It is my understanding that coaxial speakers respond well to being flipped, but what about in the case of a large tower, like the Q950s, where the there is also a bass woofer and two passive radiators. Although a bit awkward, I'm trying to rein in the budget of my theater and if I could get away with using my Q950s I already own, that'd be super helpful with that.

screen.jpg

OP
L

loddie88

Center would be centered on a table to bring it to the same height as the left and rights.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
No offense but can’t you put the subwoofers somewhere else like a normal person?

It should be fine though.

Vict0r

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'd go for a slightly smaller screen to be able to use my speakers as intended, but you can always do that after you've tried your current idea. Would allow the subs to be distributed throughout the room as well.

OP
L

loddie88

No offense but can’t you put the subwoofers somewhere else like a normal person?

It should be fine though.

Lol, its a very small room, so my choices are limited on placement, but I am open to moving them around if the measurements end up being brutal.

Apesbrain

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The Q950s will sound different: each driver will subtend a different angle to the listener, so that will likely change the frequency curve. Only way to determine if it's acceptable is to try it. You might also experiment with the tweeters on the inside, though "tweeters out" is probably best for soundstage.

There are several reasons I'd avoid putting the Qs directly on top of the subs. The vibration will color the output and may "walk" the speaker right onto the floor. If unavoidable, I'd suggest you put some anti-vibration pads between them:

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Judging from the
It is my understanding that coaxial speakers respond well to being flipped, but what about in the case of a large tower, like the Q950s, where the there is also a bass woofer and two passive radiators.
You are right to be concerned. However, the Q900 shows an even more consistent spatial distribution in it vertical axis than in the horizontal and, if the newer Q950 is equal (can't be better), it should work fine as you propose. See this (and ignore the peaks above 20kHz unless you are a dog). I do suggest that you put some compliant damping material between the subs and the Q950s.
911KEFfig7.jpg

Top Bottom