• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can I EQ over DSP?

JAH

My current setup looks like this... Macbook > ADI-2 DAC > Neumann KH750 sub > Neumann KH 80 monitors (L&R)

I used the MA-1 mic and Neumann software to take room measurements and apply room correction.

My question is... can I now use the PEQ on the ADI-2 to apply additional corrections? I don't see why not, but when i try, the adjustments don't seem to work as intended. For example, reducing the bass by -12.0 dB with the ADI-2 has only a minimal effect (shouldn't that amount be drastic?)

I purchased this setup hoping to use the built in DSP to get me to a "flat" response" and then have the ADI-2 setup with multiple "house curves"i could easily adjust or switch between without the need for the Neumann software (which i dont love).

Thanks,
Josh

Foxenfurter

Well that's what I do. Room correct to flat and then apply EQ to preference. That way I can use the same preference setups for difference speakers.

I am no expert on the acoustic side of things, but the effect of bass reduction would depend upon the frequency it is applied to, the source material and the capability of your speakers to produce that response and of course your hearing ;). e.g a 30 Hz or below change on my speakers would be inaudible as my speakers cannot produce the frequency and most music stops at about 40 Hz anyway.

Reactions: JAH

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My current setup looks like this... Macbook > ADI-2 DAC > Neumann KH750 sub > Neumann KH 80 monitors (L&R)

I used the MA-1 mic and Neumann software to take room measurements and apply room correction.

My question is... can I now use the PEQ on the ADI-2 to apply additional corrections? I don't see why not, but when i try, the adjustments don't seem to work as intended. For example, reducing the bass by -12.0 dB with the ADI-2 has only a minimal effect (shouldn't that amount be drastic?)
Make sure you adjust the EQ which corresponds to the output feeding the Sub. Each output has its own EQ (at least with my ADI2 PRO).
Or do you use the tone controls?

OP
J

JAH

Make sure you adjust the EQ which corresponds to the output feeding the Sub. Each output has its own EQ (at least with my ADI2 PRO).
Or do you use the tone controls?
i will look into this possibility, thanks!

jae

Major Contributor
How are you verifying the "-12dB" change, by ear or measurement? I've never actually used the Neumann software so I'm not sure what information it displays. You can always get your calibration file from https://en-de.neumann.com/ma-1#technical-data with your mic serial, import it and quickly measurements in REW as well after applying your various PEQs to see what's changing.

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I purchased this setup hoping to use the built in DSP to get me to a "flat" response" and then have the ADI-2 setup with multiple "house curves"i could easily adjust or switch between without the need for the Neumann software (which i dont love).

Thanks,
Josh
This should work as intended. I have a similar setup and it works perfectly. If it doesn't, there is something wrong somewhere. The monitor's DSP and the ADI don't "know" each other and should work independently from another.

Venture4663

I'm researching and experimenting with a few interfaces currently, is it possible to connect Mac > ADI2 Pro > KH750 by coax/spdif and have control of volume by the front panel dial, or does it have to use analogue to subwoofer?

Last edited:

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think that the ADI2 PRO volume cintrol does control the digital outputs simikar to the analog ones, but better check the manual.

Venture4663

I think that the ADI2 PRO volume cintrol does control the digital outputs simikar to the analog ones, but better check the manual.
Got it... I got wrapped round some menus. Its starting to make some sense now.

unpluggged

is it possible to connect Mac > ADI2 Pro > KH750 by coax/spdif and have control of volume by the front panel dial, or does it have to use analogue to subwoofer?
Yes. Set "Dig. Out Source" to "Main Out", and you will have all the processing, including volume, loudness, EQ, B/T, applied to the digital output. Make sure you connect them with the correct cable: 75 Ohm coaxial with RCA on one end and BNC on the other, such as this: https://www.thomann.de/intl/pro_snake_bnc_kabeladapter.htm

Top Bottom