• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can I connect my DAC and amp to an audio interface?

nitenichiryu

I have a Tempotec Sonata HD Pro used as a DAC paired with a Topping L30 amp, the headphones I use are the Hifiman Sundara.

I'm thinking about learning guitar and decided that I want an audio interface, specifically the M-Audio M-Track Solo.

Since the M-Track Solo probably won't produce sound as good as my current audio setup if I just straight-up plug my headphones, I was thinking maybe just hook them all up together if it's possible.

Another option would be to have the interface separate from my headphone setup and just plug the headphones in the M-track when I want to play guitar but I'm not sure if it can sufficiently handle the Sundara.

My question is could the three be combined? If not, can the M-track handle the Sundara sufficiently?

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a Tempotec Sonata HD Pro used as a DAC paired with a Topping L30 amp, the headphones I use are the Hifiman Sundara.

I'm thinking about learning guitar and decided that I want an audio interface, specifically the M-Audio M-Track Solo.

Since the M-Track Solo probably won't produce sound as good as my current audio setup if I just straight-up plug my headphones, I was thinking maybe just hook them all up together if it's possible.

Another option would be to have the interface separate from my headphone setup and just plug the headphones in the M-track when I want to play guitar but I'm not sure if it can sufficiently handle the Sundara.

My question is could the three be combined? If not, can the M-track handle the Sundara sufficiently?
When playing guitar through an audio interface latency (delay) should be kept to a minimum because otherwise it is irritating for the player. Therefore I would always plug in the headphone into the audio interface.

Sure you can connect a DAC and another DAC (audiointerface) into two different computer USB ports and possibly route the signal in Windows so it is played only by the first DAC. If it works for guitar (latency) I don’t know, as it depends on the PC and the quality of the drivers of both DACs.

Sound wise. Unless the Sundara is very difficult to drive you will be surprised if you hear much if any difference at all between the DAC and the audio interface and most certainly it won’t matter for guitar practice.

Last edited:
Top Bottom