• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can I connect a headphone amp to the output of a USB DAC/Amp?

cubanmetalguy

Hi guys. I was wondering if it is OK to connect a JDS Labs Atom to the output of an XtremPro X1 (AKA Speaka) using a simple 3.5mm to 2-Male RCA adapter. Will it damage the Atom? Will the sound be distorted? Is there a way to disable or bypass the Amp part of the Speaka? Thank you!

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
What is feeding the Speaka? PC or Cell phone? Because, if a decent cellphone, and phone has 3.5mm jack, you should be able to directly connect it to the Atom with the same 3.5mm cable to RCA. The cellphone DAC may be as good as the Speaka, and if an LG G7, V20, V35 etc. - better.

But to answer your question, I believe Amir likes to see 2V out of a DAC, the Amps like the Atom are fine with this. For sure, you will likely need to 'crank up' the volume on whatever is feeding the Speaka to get anyway near 2V - so the short answer : you should be fine.

And I would not worry about distortion from the Atom, as by driving it with 2v or less, that is within what it is designed to accept. More likely is 'upstream distortion' (lower SINAD than the Atom ) from the Speaka..

DarrylG

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi guys. I was wondering if it is OK to connect a JDS Labs Atom to the output of an XtremPro X1 (AKA Speaka) using a simple 3.5mm to 2-Male RCA adapter. Will it damage the Atom? Will the sound be distorted? Is there a way to disable or bypass the Amp part of the Speaka? Thank you!
I've been using an SMSL Idea DCA/amp dongle with a Liquid Spark amp since February. I use the cable you describe, but because the Atom has a 3.5mm input, you can use a 3.5 to 3.5.

bravomail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
yes

Top Bottom