• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can headphone THD measurements be considered as SINAD?

confucius_zero

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'm new to headphone THD measurements but I've lately heard headphones of 1% THD and 0.3% THD and I can tell that those measuring at 1% especially in the mids and treble definitely deliver sound that feels "annoying/fatiguing" to listen to.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Headphones are usually measured at 90dB and sometimes also at 100dB SPL for THD as well in order to create at least some meaningful S/N ratio.
Measurements would need to be done in a very quiet box and with expensive measurement equipment in order to say something about distortion (mine aren't).
However, distortions above 1% are real and a red flag when above 100Hz *.
Also one has to consider that frequencies above 100Hz decrease in amplitude in music. We would only really listen to 1kHz at 90dB SPL on the rare occasion that the peak SPL would be around 110dB. For the treble it is even less as that is usually 40dB lower than it is tested at (90dB).

That high SPL level to measure at, works great for planars and high power headphones but as many drivers are between 30mW and 50mW these days they have seemingly very high distortion numbers when measured at 90dB SPL. At 80dB SPL the distortion is significantly lower.
So while some headphones may measure poorly in the lows they could sound fine at 'normal' listening levels.

Distortion levels made with HATS in very quiet conditions are accurate but thus also could be skewed because of high SPL levels during measurements.

* The thing with a driver is that a lot of headphones 'compress' a bit. As a headphone driver is wideband there is an effect that doesn't show up in the usual THD measurements but is there in reality. When the headphone makes a large excursion (bass, mids and treble frequencies that happen to be in phase and thus at that point have maximum excursion) the compression of the driver can cause higher distortion in the mids than one would expect based on THD plots.
One day I should measure a multitone with headphones... I fear the worst.
Also want to test a headphone at temperatures between 0oC and 40oC some day to see what changes.
Why I haven't yet ? ... lazy I guess.

I believe THD measurements of headphones are to be taken with a grain of salt and when done with a sweep don't tell the whole story.
Just like with non-overall feedback tube amps the distortion numbers are amplitude dependent.
Headphone measurements definitely are not equal to those of electronics and need proper interpretation.

Last edited:

Mad_Economist

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Audio Company
As @solderdude points out, noise is a major issue in measurements of headphone distortion as typically conducted. Most sites measuring headphones at present are for the most part simply showing the noise of their measurement environments for many of their headphone "distortion" measurements - a telltale sign of this is THD decreasing with output level (Tyll Hertsens' measurements were very prone to this, as are RTings'), as the fixed environmental noise obviously can't tell when the headphone gets louder.

There are ways around this - better noise insulation of the measurement system is one, although my personal favourite is to average a large number of sweeps together, which attenuates the (random) noise while leaving the distortion harmonics at their proper level. This technique is quite time-consuming (my default measurement routine takes about 1.5 hours to measure THD for two channels at two levels), but allows for peering more deeply into the noise floor than you could otherwise manage without investing in some serious noise reduction.

In general, headphone THD is poorly correlated with audible problems. Most headphone harmonic distortion behavior consists of strongly-masked low-order harmonics, and tends to occur at frequencies where distortion audibility is lower (that is, there aren't many headphones that tend to have a lot of harmonics around ear resonance, although they do exist). Fielder's headphone distortion testing showed audibility thresholds which would leave even most rather flawed headphones' distortion components inaudible in most cases, even with pure tones. Music will leave such distortion even less audible, as there are many more masker tones.

Interestingly, the most audible case of headphone distortion I've documented wasn't by any means the highest in measured THD - it was with Focal's open-backed designs (Elex, Utopia, etc), which when driven to high levels (input voltage at or above what would be required for 105dB @ 1khz, which since Focal designs are bass boosted, translates to something around 108-110dB to my memory) and low frequency produced a "hard clipping" sort of distortion, with many extremely high order harmonics (out into the mids, easily, for a 20hz sine wave stimulus). This was extremely audible, and has been subjectively noted on a number of forums.

Thus I'd tend to argue that unweighted THD verges on uselessness. Something like Earl Geddes' GedLee metric might be enough to make THD somewhat representative, but he didn't consider it all that useful to apply even to the higher-distortion case of speakers, so perhaps the conclusions it would bring are simply that harmonic distortion isn't a problem for headphones outside of rare cases.

I have seen some - including Christopher Struck of CJSLabs - call for more use of multitone tests of headphone distortion. I can see the theoretical support - my music certainly tends to have more than one sine wave, I don't know about you - but both theory and the results of Steve Temme's test of headphone distortion audibility (which was something of an extreme case - the headphones were recorded playing at levels where masking would reduce distortion audibility more significantly, then played back more quietly) tend to incline me to think that a coherence-based metric using music as a stimulus would be best in this regard. It's something I'm working on presently, but I have no meaningful data correlating to subjective perceptions yet.

In general, the preference test data we have about headphones from sources like Olive strongly indicates to me that distortion isn't a major concern for headphones, however - frequency response is overwhelmingly the largest factor in how headphones sound, and if that is wrong, no amount of zeros in your THD number will matter.

Top Bottom