• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can Electronics cause this effect (Snare-Drum like resonance from Piano sounds)

FriedChicken

This is kind of far out there but something I noticed...

I have a Yamaha RX-A810 in "Pure Direct" mode playing lossless FLAC audio from USB --> Yamaha M-65 --> Polk Audio RTI10 towers.

I'm noticing this really unusual phenomenon when listening to piano music. A really accurate description is a "snare-drum" like resonance that I'm hearing. In fact, for one recording I dismissed it as exactly that: I'm hearing the resonance of a snare-drum. Unfortunately it's appeared again, and I suspect it might have something to do with the amplifier.

Imagine you have a big grand piano, and next to it you place a snare-drum. When a piano key or chord is struck loudly, you'll hear a very quiet resonance on the snare drum, as the tympanum vibrates and the snare wires make their noise. The louder the note/chord is struck the more this resonance happens (concurrently but short).

This is exactly what I'm hearing. I'm not sure if something like this could emerge as a result of the electronics, or if it's purely the recording.

Here is where I first heard it (skip to 10:45):

Thb2021

My first thought would be speaker, as some flaws only become noticeable at certain frequencies. I've not heard of another component behaving like that.

Loathecliff

An out-of-tune piano will sound like that as the note(s) decays.

lizhuoyin

Forum Donor
This is kind of far out there but something I noticed...

I have a Yamaha RX-A810 in "Pure Direct" mode playing lossless FLAC audio from USB --> Yamaha M-65 --> Polk Audio RTI10 towers.

I'm noticing this really unusual phenomenon when listening to piano music. A really accurate description is a "snare-drum" like resonance that I'm hearing. In fact, for one recording I dismissed it as exactly that: I'm hearing the resonance of a snare-drum. Unfortunately it's appeared again, and I suspect it might have something to do with the amplifier.

Imagine you have a big grand piano, and next to it you place a snare-drum. When a piano key or chord is struck loudly, you'll hear a very quiet resonance on the snare drum, as the tympanum vibrates and the snare wires make their noise. The louder the note/chord is struck the more this resonance happens (concurrently but short).

This is exactly what I'm hearing. I'm not sure if something like this could emerge as a result of the electronics, or if it's purely the recording.

Here is where I first heard it (skip to 10:45):
Is it ringing?

raindance

Major Contributor
Connect your receiver directly to the speakers without the 36 year old amplifier in the chain and see what happens. I can hear the strings resonating in the piano, but nothing that sounds like what you are hearing. It is not a very good recording, FYI, so not reference quality.

If the amp change does nothing then something in the room is vibrating or your tweeters are toast.

OP
F

FriedChicken

You know what, I’m hearing it on my computer speakers as well!

I just checked and it’s 100% there. On the youtube video, specifically at the note at 13:01. That’s exactly it.

Top Bottom