• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can Dirac make things worst ?

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Guys,

If you make changes to the room only for the measurements, you are misrepresenting the conditions of your room to the software. It can't possibly compensate for a room that you aren't measuring.

Worth Davis

Forum Donor
And you also listen without a back and sit up and cross your legs? Not my preferred way to listen, but we're all different.

LOL nah I sit back and let the reflection of my leather back chair haunt my audiophile dreams in comfort

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Guys,

If you make changes to the room only for the measurements, you are misrepresenting the conditions of your room to the software. It can't possibly compensate for a room that you aren't measuring.

This does seem logical, but @mitchco (who knows more about these systems than almost anyone) also recommends removing furniture before taking the measurements. Perhaps he can comment?

I think the idea is to remove some comb filtering effects that will show up in the measurements with the furniture in place. The RC will try to then correct the filtering, which leads to sub-optimal results. It seems illogical to me, but I know far less about room correction than he does. Personally, I've always measured with furniture in place, but I'm planning to try it the other way(for 1 or 2 of my 4 presets) to see how it does.

mitchco

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Audio Company
Hey @richard12511 sure. The idea is not to move the furniture out of the room, it is to move anything between the mic and speakers out of the way that can cause comb filtering and anything around the microphone itself, like comb filtering off the chair/couch for example. We are concerned with midrange and high frequency comb filtering as the wavelengths are so long below 100 Hz that it does not have a real impact with objects in the way...

The fundamental issue is if one corrects for the “comb filtering” off the coffee table for example, then that correction is now embedded in the frequency response of the loudspeaker including it's off axis response. So if we correct for the comb filter off the coffee table, we have just coloured the off axis response of the loudspeaker. Here is a longer answer: https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/...kthrough/page/2/?tab=comments#comment-1032876

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hey @richard12511 sure. The idea is not to move the furniture out of the room, it is to move anything between the mic and speakers out of the way that can cause comb filtering and anything around the microphone itself, like comb filtering off the chair/couch for example. We are concerned with midrange and high frequency comb filtering as the wavelengths are so long below 100 Hz that it does not have a real impact with objects in the way...

The fundamental issue is if one corrects for the “comb filtering” off the coffee table for example, then that correction is now embedded in the frequency response of the loudspeaker including it's off axis response. So if we correct for the comb filter off the coffee table, we have just coloured the off axis response of the loudspeaker. Here is a longer answer: https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/...kthrough/page/2/?tab=comments#comment-1032876
But by introducing the coffee table after measuring, you are adding that comb filtering back into the system. I think the moral of the story is to just delete the coffee table permanently.

mitchco

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Audio Company
Haha, too right, but can be impractical. So if a choice had to be made... To my ears a correction filter developed without the coffee table during measurement and replaced for listening sounds more natural when I move around on the couch. I.e. the direct sound is flat and the comb filter sounds as it should. But "baking" the comb filter into a correction filter, no matter how many angles (i.e. mic locations) are covered, sounds to my ears, coloured, especially off axis. As mentioned at the end of my comment link above: There are no hard and fast rules, and I encourage folks to experiment.

Top Bottom