• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can DDC make any change on audio signal??

GNK

I bought Genelec 8361a yesterday(but have to wait quite for long) and it has internal dsp, DAC and amplification.
To use that internal DAC, I have to use AES/EBU input, which is uncommon in many non-professional input devices.
I found products in variety of price ranges, but it seems that I can't really figure out how "good" they are, unlike DAC(thanks to amir and others).
Topping D90SE with AES output is on the top of asr DAC's sinad list, but amir didn't tested its AES performance, so I can't be sure it is an optimal choice.

Does expansive DDCs make any difference compared to much cheaper ones?
If so, is there any reliable measurement lists of DDC to compare and choose among them?
If not, do you think using $70 DDC from china is not a bad option for $10000 speakers?

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The D90SE does not have AES output, it’s an input.

What you need is some Xmos based AES converter. They can be for less than $€£ 100.

Suggestion of @Zaireeka will also work if you already have a coaxial SPDIF at hand.

OP
GNK

GNK

You can perfectly use a S/PDIF output with an adapter cable to enter your signal digitally. This model for example : https://www.thomann.de/fr/pro_snake_aes_ebu_spdif_cable_3.htm
I thought I have to use some kind of converter for SPDIF to AES. It is good to know I can fix this problem by just cabling!
Is this solution works for all cases?

The D90SE does not have AES output, it’s an input.

What you need is some Xmos based AES converter. They can be for less than $€£ 100.

Suggestion of @Zaireeka will also work if you already have a coaxial SPDIF at hand.
I didn't know that Thank you.
Are you suggesting those CHEAP converters have no differences in performance compared to much more expansive ones?(e.g. rme adi-2)

Zaireeka

I thought I have to use some kind of converter for SPDIF to AES. It is good to know I can fix this problem by just cabling!
As long as you don't use super long cables you should be ok, Genelec says 3 meters max in one of their operating manual. If you really need to run accross the room you have to buy an impedance adapter (ie a transformer).

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It will work in most cases, not all. From what I read on the Genelecs they should not have a problem with this.
Are you suggesting those CHEAP converters have no differences in performance compared to much more expansive ones?(e.g. rme adi-2)
The RME is a full fledged DAC with DSP functionality. It’s a totally different product. Not all ADI-2’s have AES output, so be ware.

staticV3

Master Contributor
The SMSL PO100 is an inexpensive Xmos based USB to S/PDIF DDC. It's $37 on Ali at the moment.

Though one problem with going USB->RCA S/PDIF->AES3 balanced could be the different characteristic impedance that the two use.
RCA is 75Ω while AES3 balanced is 110Ω.
I don't know if this will cause issues, but it's something to keep in mind.

OP
GNK

GNK

It will work in most cases, not all. From what I read on the Genelecs they should not have a problem with this.

The RME is a full fledged DAC with DSP functionality. It’s a totally different product. Not all ADI-2’s have AES output, so be ware.

I'm trying to find them but it's struggling me. Can you recommend some Xmos based AES converter?

mansr

Major Contributor
Though one problem with going USB->RCA S/PDIF->AES3 balanced could be the different characteristic impedance that the two use.
It's close enough that it's rarely a problem. If it doesn't work, an impedance matching transformer will likely fix it.

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The only time I ever had a problem with using an S-PDIF output signal in an AES-EBU input is a piece of German equipment that needed the status bit set to Professional, rather than the normal S-PDIF default setting of Consumer. Every other equipment couldn't care less. I've run S-PDIF to AES cables without balancing or worrying about impedance over 10m +, with no issues at all.
Digital audio is very rugged and not at all fussy about impedance or signal level.

S

elole

The SMSL PO100 is an inexpensive Xmos based USB to S/PDIF DDC. It's $37 on Ali at the moment.

Do you know if this would work for d30pro dac? I assume I need an optical cable but I'm not sure which one

r042wal

Forum Donor
I have a DDC beween my music server and my DAC to clean up my USB line and reclock the signal. USB is the only output on my Aurender server and it's weaknes is the 5 volt rail. The noise on the 5 volt rail is going to be different coming out of my Aurender vs. a PC or MAC. This is why a Matrix of any other DDC will not always make a noticeable difference on every piece of equipment.

If there is noise on the 5 volt rail, you want a stand-alone linear power supply for your DCC to isolate the 5 volts rail from the source and replace it with the 5 volt LPS.

sq225917

Major Contributor
Only dacs that use the 5v usb line for intetnal power care at all about noise on that incoming rail.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Do you know if this would work for d30pro dac?
You mean PC->USB->PO100->Toslink->D30Pro?
Yeah that'd probably work, though I don't understand why you wouldn't just connect the D30Pro directly via USB

r042wal

Forum Donor
Only dacs that use the 5v usb line for intetnal power care at all about noise on that incoming rail.
That is correct for my DDC but not my DAC. My Matrix DDC uses USB for the input but the is2 output goes to my DAC. There is also a S/PDIF and Toslink output. On you idea of the DAC using the 5 volt rail, a question was asked about by DAC on another forum about killing the power rail all together and we were told the 5 volt rail is used to determine if the USB cable is connected or not. The DAC would have its own 5 volt source. Does that make sense to you?

Top Bottom