• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can barely breathe... 6xx

finally it's here.
the kph30 are for my dead as a little present.

God, what a difference between 6xx and pc38x.
It's crazy ...
I finally understand what everyone's talking about.

What? Sundara? qc issues? 350$ before shipping and taxes?!!

Who needs more than that? Headphones for $ 1000 or $ 500? I don't know, the quality of 6xx is just above and beyond.

Currently listening to:
John Martyn - Small Hours
and I hear every breath and exhalation and every drop that falls and all this when the headphones are connected to the motherboard through 3.5mm with probably a lot of noise and interference in the background.

I can not imagine how much I will enjoy them when I plug to Asgard 3 and Modius.

I wanted to ask if burn-in is a myth or a necessary process.

If so - pink noise? Or just listen to different styles?

I have no words, eargasm.

Thanks to all the friends who told me what to buy and did not make a mistake when they said - appreciate you all!

artburda

I wanted to ask if burn-in is a myth or a necessary process.

If so - pink noise? Or just listen to different styles?
You have to be very careful what music you choose for the burning in. Depending on the genre you want to listen to, you have to play the same genre of music for the burning in. Otherwise the headphone gets optimized for the wrong genre and then it won‘t sound the best. The first 100 hours are most important. Choose wisely.

In all seriousness: burning in headphones is a myth. What you are actually burning in are your ears (getting used to the headphone). If you want to improve the sound, you could try out Amir‘s EQ suggestion from the Sennheiser HD 650 review: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/sennheiser-hd650-review-headphone.18774/

Killingbeans

Major Contributor

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
With speaker drivers - including headphones - the mechanical action of the cones can loosen up slightly in initial usage. But this does not take long, requires no special type of sound, and impacts the sound only slightly, if at all.

Perceptions of a significant change in the sound of headphones (or speakers, or pretty much anything else) over periods of days or weeks are about us getting used to them, not about significant changes in the actual performance of the gear from burn-in.

So as @Killingbeans notes, it's basically a myth.

fieldcar

Addicted to Fun and Learning
God, what a difference between 6xx and pc38x.
It's crazy ...

While I'm glad you're happy, the differences look pretty marginal and probably could have been accomplished with an EQ (fight the audiophile myth that EQ is bad!). Though, I'm sure the mic arm and volume knob obstructions on the PC38X do affect the soundstage, so it was probably still a worthwhile upgrade.

As for break-in. Just ask yourself, why does everyone think that it's always a positive change? It may take years of use for the drivers to change slightly. Your ears and ambient pressure changes daily, pads wear over time, and headphone positioning all affects the tuning far more than any driver break-in. It's best to not worry about any of it and give EQ'ing a good shot. If you're on windows, peaceEQ is what I like to use. You can even keep a few presets for each headphone.

graph (6).png

ADU

Major Contributor
With speaker drivers - including headphones - the mechanical action of the cones can loosen up slightly in initial usage. But this does not take long, requires no special type of sound, and impacts the sound only slightly, if at all.

I don't know about this, but recall Oratory1990 mentioning that there could be some slight changes in sound in the first few hours of use with some headphones.

The condition or compression of the earpads can also change a bit as headphones become more worn. Which can also change the sound a bit. The Beyerdynamic DT-770 with velour earpads is a headphone which seems to be particularly noteworthy for the changeability of its response, probably due mostly or at least in part to the changing condition of its earpads (which are replaceable) over time.

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't know about this, but recall Oratory1990 mentioning that there could be some slight changes in sound in the first few hours of use with some headphones.

The condition or compression of the earpads can also change a bit as headphones become more worn. Which can also change the sound a bit. The Beyerdynamic DT-770 with velour earpads is a headphone which seems to be particularly noteworthy for the changeability of its response, probably due mostly or at least in part to the changing condition of its earpads (which are replaceable) over time.

I think "some slight changes in the first few hours" is consistent with what I was trying to say - thanks!

RE earpads, I neglected to mention that aspect - yes, absolutely. Nothing to do with burn-in or playing sounds through the headphones, but yes, they can have a notable effect, which I believe Amir has measured in one or two posts on the forums here.

OP
Bling Guy McSqueezy
While I'm glad you're happy, the differences look pretty marginal and probably could have been accomplished with an EQ (fight the audiophile myth that EQ is bad!). Though, I'm sure the mic arm and volume knob obstructions on the PC38X do affect the soundstage, so it was probably still a worthwhile upgrade.

As for break-in. Just ask yourself, why does everyone think that it's always a positive change? It may take years of use for the drivers to change slightly. Your ears and ambient pressure changes daily, pads wear over time, and headphone positioning all affects the tuning far more than any driver break-in. It's best to not worry about any of it and give EQ'ing a good shot. If you're on windows, peaceEQ is what I like to use. You can even keep a few presets for each headphone.

View attachment 180229
Thanks to people like you I always come back to this forum. Thank you!

I would love for you to send me the priests you have. I have this equalizer - but it has no idea how to use it yet.

If you and the forum members who see this post have the option to send me that I can just upload and enjoy it would be awesome!

fieldcar

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thanks to people like you I always come back to this forum. Thank you!

I would love for you to send me the priests you have. I have this equalizer - but it has no idea how to use it yet.

If you and the forum members who see this post have the option to send me that I can just upload and enjoy it would be awesome!
I'm glad you got something out of it.

I usually just use some of the AutoEQ presets and tweak them a bit afterward to taste.

Here is a thread on using AutoEQ presets: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/autoeq-magic.14327/

Download Presets to import into PeaceEQ: https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq/tree/master/results/crinacle/

Another good video to watch if you want to do it yourself.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor

Kuppenbender

Forum Donor

ADU

Major Contributor
I think "some slight changes in the first few hours" is consistent with what I was trying to say - thanks!

"Hours" might even be an exaggeration. I think Ora might have said the first half hour, or possibly hour on the outside, or somethin like that, as I think back on it. So more on the order of minutes, probably, than the multiple days that many burn their HPs in.

I don't really know enough about the subject to really have an opinion on it myself. But I believe Ora designed or built transducers for a living, and has obviously also measured numerous headphones for his site and graphing tool. So if anyone would know about this kinda thing, you'd think he might be the one.

If there are any changes in the drivers, you really should be able to see it in the measurements.

Last edited:
Top Bottom