• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can APX555 serve as a AD/DA?

miero

It would be interesting if amirm could show us what is inside that very expensive box...

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm Hi, just be curious if your analyzer could actually serves as an AD/DA? If so, it is probably the best in the market,right?
The USB protocol is proprietary and doesn't act like a sound device. So no way to use it that way as you say using that input. You can tell it to play a file so in that regard, it can act like a "DAC" but then you have to use it to play one file at a time.

It does have the ability to record what it has captured but I don't think it can do so continuously.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
It would be interesting if amirm could show us what is inside that very expensive box...
I don't want to void the warranty so have to ask Audio Precision if it is OK to do that.

I did take pictures of my older AP analyzer and it is incredible what is in there. Board after board after board. It makes the highest end DAC look like a toy.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The USB protocol is proprietary and doesn't act like a sound device. So no way to use it that way as you say using that input. You can tell it to play a file so in that regard, it can act like a "DAC" but then you have to use it to play one file at a time.

It does have the ability to record what it has captured but I don't think it can do so continuously.

Hey it sounds perfect. I've read of at least one large orchestral recording where they recorded it 16 measures at a time. Spliced it all together when done. This in order to get every note by every musician perfect and error free. So use the AP for each short snippet. Then use it for playback, and you'd have a DAC almost expensive enough to be considered good. One file at a time playback isn't that big an inconvenience.

garbulky

Major Contributor
I don't want to void the warranty so have to ask Audio Precision if it is OK to do that.

I did take pictures of my older AP analyzer and it is incredible what is in there. Board after board after board. It makes the highest end DAC look like a toy.
Would be nice to see the inside of one if you care to share a picture.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Here is a 555 circuit board pic.
1538085966897.png

Oops! I think that is maybe not the same 555 even though it says 555 clearly on that chip. Not an AP after all.
:p:p:p

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
FWIW, I used a combination of the APx515 and the APx1702 as a DA/preamp/power amp combo, just for fun. It ought to be a cult item.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
What would be a hoot is if Audio Precision came out with a super consumer DAC based upon their instrumentation gear. They'd not need to watch the price very much I don't think at least not for a certain segment.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I pointed out in my review of the APx1702 that the combo of the APx515 and 1702 cost less than a high end DAC. And you get 50 very low distortion watts per channel as well as phantom power inputs for a superb ADC. My suggestion to their marketing department was greeted politely, then ignored. :D

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Here is a 555 circuit board pic.

No... That's fake news! It's not even hooked up to anything!

The other board is someone's attempt at a discrete dual opamp with an 8pin header I would opine. Also, not hooked up to anything...

Last edited:

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
One file at a time playback isn't that big an inconvenience.

Yes and it improves the experience - think of it as playing vinyl singles.

I think the amir's AP is an empty box. He just has a fancy graph generator app.

OP
H

helloworld

I pointed out in my review of the APx1702 that the combo of the APx515 and 1702 cost less than a high end DAC. And you get 50 very low distortion watts per channel as well as phantom power inputs for a superb ADC. My suggestion to their marketing department was greeted politely, then ignored. :D
Do you know what's the Thd+N and dynamic range performance of your setup? and where is your review?

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
dont know if @amirm could combin his 2522 with 555 to work like your setup.
??? SIY is testing an optional unit the Apx1701 which I don't have. It is both a power amplifier and headphone amp. I don't feel the need for it currently.

OP
H

helloworld

??? SIY is testing an optional unit the Apx1701 which I don't have. It is both a power amplifier and headphone amp. I don't feel the need for it currently.
oops, I thought your 2522 may work like the 1701.....didn’t check the 1701 information

Top Bottom