• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can anyone explain the vinyl renaissance?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
For what that table costs I could get a visit from one of the ladies
at "College Cuties dot com" a couple nights a week for life! :p
Just become a sugaH DaddY.... Apparently it's becoming common these days from what I read. It's easier and has more relationship qualities that might be more full-filling unless you just want some intermittent recreation and then some down time in between. :D

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Just become a sugaH DaddY.... Apparently it's becoming common these days from what I read.
Naw, just like wife's they're way too high maintenance for me. ;)

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
For what that table costs I could get a visit from one of the ladies
at "College Cuties dot com" a couple nights a week for life! :p
Yeah, but if someone gave me one I would be tempted to set it up for awhile. Then sell it and buy a truck and or a couple of motorcycles.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
The funny thing about rekkids...
I like rekkids.
I like listening to rekkids.
I have... umm... a lot of rekkids. A LOT.
I rarely play them.
Too much trouble.

Robin L

Master Contributor
The funny thing about rekkids...
I like rekkids.
I like listening to rekkids.
I have... umm... a lot of rekkids. A LOT.
I rarely play them.
Too much trouble.
Same here, only it's CDs.

Like, what's up with that?

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
In cherry picking quotes out of context you forgot about this gem (emphasis mine):

"That's not happened with the LP- yet. So we know (whether we like it or not) the existing art needs improvement. You can make the argument that people prefer distortion.. and other such nonsense. Sheesh! The pragmatic individual will look at the bigger picture and see its really obvious the digital still has some homework to do."

Yes of course I saw that. Did you see I said I'd challenge Atmosphere's comment about digital?

Again...I was responding to Leporello writing:

"No mystery needing explanation there. But many vinylphiles constantly argue as if this was a deep problem challenging our understanding of audio - "something that keeps vinyl alive". We never hear the basis and support for this idea, as the mystery has to be kept alive. But it just has to be talked about constantly, over and over again."

I took that as his complaint that people were attributing some mystery to the appeal of vinyl. Like there was some unexplainable thing, or that people were hinting there was some technically undiscovered aspect of vinyl for why "people think it sounds better" or whatever.

I did not take his comment to be about the "mysteries of digital audio" because he referenced vinyl.

And as I've said: I haven't seen people putting forth this mysterious case for the vinyl renaissance.

Now if Leporello meant instead to reference some mystery about DIGITAL sound, then he could correct my understanding. I would rather understand what he meant if I haven't done so. But if he was referencing digital mysteries, it wasn't clear from his post.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Can anyone explain why this garbage thread is approaching 1,500 posts?

Note: some of the "garbage" comes from the fact some can't discuss vinyl without throwing in insults.

It doesn't have to be that way. It really doesn't.

(And some of the people who complain about the continuation of this thread keep contributing to it themselves, which is strange).

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Oxymoron. It’s Argumentative anti-Science Review. (I know you knew that, but I’m just making it clear.)

Notice how the thread topic asks us to explain a social purchasing trend? There are only 2 ways to do that: launch in too-eagerly with one’s own thoughts on the matter (typically based on nothing but intuition - where’s the science in that?), or discover or create (and execute) a well-designed opinion survey on the matter.

Guess which way is dominating this thread? That’s right, the one that allows the over-opinionated fastest-typing keyboard warriors to go on, and on, and on, and on. The ones who think that if everyone else gets tired of reading their missives (let alone responding), they win. And the ones who take a paper-thin sliver of evidence and convince themselves that it is sufficient for them to insist it is The Truth and defend it to the death and demand that others disprove it.

Oh, science is right out of the window for this thread. Yes it’s a social science question, but the discussion lacks evidence and it lacks any rigour in any discussion of what little evidence has been posted. Eg how to get a properly randomized survey of LP buyers, so that when we ask them why vinyl, the answer isn’t dominated by audiophilia. And for those occasions when they say “because it sounds better”, how to eliminate sighted bias from Average Vinyl Joe’s belief that it is in the sound waves? Well, that would be hard to do as a social science experiment, so it hasn’t been done, so the science-based answer to the thread topic should be that we lack data of high enough quality to form a solid hypothesis.

End of thread — as an audio science discussion.

Start of thread — as an audio anti-science argument. Go on, off you go. ;)

I think you've misread the nature of the OP.

Notice he included his personal reasons for choosing digital and rejecting vinyl, noted how popular vinyl has become, and ended with "Does the vinyl renaissance make sense to you because it sure doesn't to me."

"does it make sense to you?"

It wasn't a demand for scientific evidence; his question clearly asked for, or allowed for, personal opinions and conjecture .e.g. why would someone choose vinyl? Plenty of us answered giving our perspective. And I at least supplied plenty of external references, articles etc, on the subject.

You chimed in just like everyone else with your own unscientific conjecture! regarding the vinyl renaissance.

So, please, kettle/pot/black and all that.

Why not create your own thread demanding that only scientific studies are to be submitted? That surely would be more productive than continually telling everyone this is a crappy thread.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Frgirard

Major Contributor
New article in the Guardian speaks to some of the themes that have been written about in this thread - hints at the kind of dissatisfaction with ubiquitous streaming music that is driving some to more “hands on” experience:

the deep is not enough deeper

charleski

Major Contributor
Just the same as saying most people listening to digital music these days are listening on phone speakers or at best cheap bluetooth speakers. So perhaps quality isn’t the issue there, either.
The principal driving force for uptake of digital media has always been convenience. Has anyone really argued otherwise? On the other hand, anyone who argues, 'lots of people are listening to X, therefore X must sound better,' is just ignoring the way most people actually think.

charleski

Major Contributor
New article in the Guardian speaks to some of the themes that have been written about in this thread - hints at the kind of dissatisfaction with ubiquitous streaming music that is driving some to more “hands on” experience:

It's a good article, and there's a telling quote right at the top:
“That was the problem,” she says. “Using music, rather than having it be its own experience … What kind of music am I going to use to set a mood for the day? What am I going to use to enjoy my walk? I started not really liking what that meant.”
But I think it really addresses the whole playlist culture that Spotify latched on to. I had a little chuckle at the part where one guy enthuses over his ability to store music as albums on a hard drive and serve them from a NAS ... what a novel idea! :) At the end of the day, though, this feels very similar to the old days where kids would discover that listening to the radio wasn't the only way to hear music, and they could go out and buy an album instead.

Holmz

Major Contributor
1500 post and no one has delivered the true answer. The kids are all about non binary.
That is, Its fashionable, thats it, no big secret. Turntables get you likes on facbook. But so does cutting your dick off and I don't understand that either.

I think I’d stay being happy with the TT then.
And I’d get a few more TTs if it preserved the old fella.

JP

Major Contributor
Yes of course I saw that. Did you see I said I'd challenge Atmosphere's comment about digital?

Again...I was responding to Leporello writing:

"No mystery needing explanation there. But many vinylphiles constantly argue as if this was a deep problem challenging our understanding of audio - "something that keeps vinyl alive". We never hear the basis and support for this idea, as the mystery has to be kept alive. But it just has to be talked about constantly, over and over again."

I took that as his complaint that people were attributing some mystery to the appeal of vinyl. Like there was some unexplainable thing, or that people were hinting there was some technically undiscovered aspect of vinyl for why "people think it sounds better" or whatever.

I did not take his comment to be about the "mysteries of digital audio" because he referenced vinyl.

And as I've said: I haven't seen people putting forth this mysterious case for the vinyl renaissance.

Now if Leporello meant instead to reference some mystery about DIGITAL sound, then he could correct my understanding. I would rather understand what he meant if I haven't done so. But if he was referencing digital mysteries, it wasn't clear from his post.

'If all else fails, move the goal posts.'
- Matt Hooper

IPunchCholla

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
'If all else fails, move the goal posts.'
- Matt Hooper
Matt’s fake quote is right. You do move the goalposts a lot. Usually right after punching a straw man, being deliberately obscure, and stating facts unsupported by evidence.

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am on the same page as the OP.
I had vinyl and used to make a tape, with Dolby, and with a DBX compander to preserve the source.
The copies never stacked up against the original.

When CDs arrived, I was all in.
Unfortunately, too many recordings are poorly mastered using over compression and digital clipping.
There are cases where the LP can sound better.

The solution is to stay with the superior technology and fix the issues in production.

For vinyl, there is an obvious jewelry factor and the status.
Is there such a thing as a player that uses lasers to read the groves?
That makes more sense than some of these turntables. If I still had vinyl, I'd use this tech to rip to a digital file.

Currently, I use Roon and Qobuz Roon ARC has been released allowing streaming of all my rips and Qobuz to mobile devices.
The quality is automatically adjusted to permit streaming using cellular data.

- Rich

JP

Major Contributor
Matt’s fake quote is right. You do move the goalposts a lot. Usually right after punching a straw man, being deliberately obscure, and stating facts unsupported by evidence.

I can see why people may choose to find me to be obscure due to my inclination to not spoon-feed for topics that are easy to research. If someone can't be bothered to put a little effort or thought in to understanding a topic I'm not going to burdened to teach them. Your other two accusations I do take offense to as those are behaviors I would never knowingly partake in.

Regardless, this one is fairly simple. The two points that were being made are different, and Matt even concedes that in his last response. The argument that he used the out-of-context quotes for is of no relevance.

Top Bottom