• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can anyone explain the vinyl renaissance?

Holmz

Major Contributor
That is the bottom line.
I'll never understand throwing $.02 at it, until I at least already owned the very best speakers made.

^this^ makes no sense to me.
If one does not have the best speakers, then they may not need 100+ dB of SINAD.
Once you have the best, then going for digital to get that to be better seems like a more valid argument… than getting zero distortion drivers, and then moving from near zero distortion digital to higher distortion analogue???

Last edited:

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
For me I think people just want to be trendy and have a point to discuss with others. Purely from audio perspective it's lot more costly with much worse sound quality,

I agree!!

/thread :D

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What is the reason for the vinyl renaissance though?

:p

Cover art. Novelty. Listening with intent. Works when the network is down/congested.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Robin L

Master Contributor
What is the reason for the vinyl renaissance though?

:p
Paranoia/exhaustion of the digital age.

An actual fondness for the way the sound is different.

Nostalgia.

The notion that the object [LP] is disconnected from "The System".

Feeling like the music is "owned" rather than "borrowed".

A fondness for the tweakyness of it all.

Being a Collector---as collectibles, LPs are totally fab.

Having a big pile of LPs anyway.

Loving the band.

One thing for sure---we can never be in someone else's head. I got a whole lot less interested in LPs once I got a decent guitar, so my hobbies and the way I spend my free time revolved accordingly. LPs became a burden to me. Three years ago, I had something like 1600 LPs, now I have none. On the other hand, I now have two good guitars instead of one. You wanna feel disconnected from the system? Get a guitar and learn how to play.

It's good to remember, after all, that this is just a hobby, we are hobbyists, we are attracted and engaged for many different reasons.

So the question isn't "What is the reason for the vinyl renaissance?" But "What are the reasons for the vinyl renaissance?"

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Get a guitar and learn how to play.
I did part of your recommendation. I got the guitar, a amp and a distortion pedal and progressed to use the kitchen butter knife as a slide guitar tool and wanked away with the distortion pedal. The neighbors never complained but it was loud...lol. I gave up after 2 months. I had a full plate of things to do at the time and so guitar maybe was not a wise choice for a new hobby. :D

Robin L

Master Contributor
I did part of your recommendation. I got the guitar, a amp and a distortion pedal and progressed to use the kitchen butter knife as a slide guitar tool and wanked away with the distortion pedal. The neighbors never complained but it was loud...lol. I gave up after 2 months. I had a full plate of things to do at the time and so guitar maybe was not a wise choice for a new hobby. :D
I started playing with the Kenny Hall Wednesday Night Jam at The Basque in Fresno, CA, around 2007, an old timey band led by Kenny Hall. He was blind, played mandolin and sang, knew about 1000 simple songs, all acoustic, mostly I/IV/V stuff and it stuck. A sorta-relative gave me an okay guitar, guaranteed to muffle my sound relative to the rest of the group. I'm now playing in a band that plays music for children, similarly simple music, great fun witnessing the children's reactions to the music. The "other" guitar is a 12-string discovered under a food wagon. I polished it up, made a few small adjustments. gave it a slew of decorations and a pickup. I can pretend I'm Roger McGuinn for a moment or two.

I like it a lot more than playing records.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I started playing with the Kenny Hall Wednesday Night Jam at The Basque in Fresno, CA, around 2007, an old timey band led by Kenny Hall. He was blind, played mandolin and sang, knew about 1000 simple songs, all acoustic, mostly I/IV/V stuff and it stuck, I'm now playing in a band that plays music for children, similarly simple music, great fun witnessing the children's reactions to the music.

I like it a lot more than playing records.
Playing music is I think got to be a hoot. My musician friends used to take me along to all their gigs and recording sessions and I must admit I did shed a tear or two when they where really going for it. I was fortunate enough to be invited to a piano and flute recital featuring Prokofiev and that was a heart pulling tear jerker to see my close friend playing such difficult perfect music. I've never heard anything sound so good and be so touching too. So from the viewpoint of a musician looking at the crowd and seeing the reactions of the viewers must be interesting.

Robin L

Master Contributor
Playing music is I think got to be a hoot. My musician friends used to take me along to all their gigs and recording sessions and I must admit I did shed a tear or two when they where really going for it. I was fortunate enough to be invited to a piano and flute recital featuring Prokofiev and that was a heart pulling tear jerker to see my close friend playing such difficult perfect music. I've never heard anything sound so good and be so touching too. So from the viewpoint of a musician looking at the crowd and seeing the reactions of the viewers must be interesting.
When the kids sing along, louder than the band, it's heavenly.

Robin L

Master Contributor
Do you think adults sing less than the children do? Perhaps inhibitions and stuff takes over as one ages?
Kids have better dynamics than adults. When they're happy, they're happy!!!

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah, I have noticed the glee that kids feel and show when they are really stoked about stuff. It's exciting and fun. :D

That's something I miss about my boys being grown up now - picking them up from school when they were young. Even if I were in low energy mode from a hard day at work, just walking toward the school you could hear the absolute wave of energy from the kids playing and getting out of school. It was this huge wave of Happy Energy! It was nice to be around and helped recharge the batteries.

Top Bottom