• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can anyone explain the vinyl renaissance?

levimax

Major Contributor
Still, I'd take that over the usual "audiophile" opinion....
Both are unreliable .... I really have no idea but neither is a "fact" you can rely on. If my experience is any indication (which it isn't really) I have not had great luck with "box sets"... they look nice and are new but the sound quality is hit or miss at best... usually miss (compared to original versions).

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Both are unreliable .... I really have no idea but neither is a "fact" you can rely on. If my experience is any indication (which it isn't really) I have not had great luck with "box sets"... they look nice and are new but the sound quality is hit or miss at best... usually miss (compared to original versions).
So much can happen with a box set, remixing/remastering, better/poorer pressings etc. I generally wouldn't bother with a vinyl box set myself in any case.

levimax

Major Contributor
So much can happen with a box set, remixing/remastering, better/poorer pressings etc. I generally wouldn't bother with a vinyl box set myself in any case.
I never buy them new but see them used and in more or less unplayed condition for cheap and sometimes take a chance and am usually disappointed.... I have had similar experience with both vinyl and CD box sets unfortuneately.

clearnfc

And I say it many times, in response, please buy and read Sound Reproduction by Dr Floyd E Toole. He addresses this assumption that we all have unique preferences in sound reproduction, and shows, through carefully controlled listening tests, that we actually don’t.

It’s a real eye-opener. Your assumptions, put to the test, don’t pass.

Thank you for your reply...

Yes, I have read it before but sorry, I don't believe in what he said for various reasons. However, I am not here to discuss about my reasons nor to debate about it so I will leave it as that.

Btw, you have every right to disagree with what I posted. So, lets just agree to disagree, ok?

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I had the original SheffieldLabs Direct-to-Disc pressing of ThelmaHouston and the PressureCookers "I've Got the Music In Me" LP that would bring near-tears to my eyes.
A Thorens turntable and a McIntosh275 tube amp is all that I remember of the system at the time but the rest really did not matter.
For all I care, it may have been the worst system ever macgiver'd together... but the sound (or what my brain 'heard') of that album was like no other experience (live or otherwise). I never had any desires afterwards, to listen to that compilation on any other system or in any other media format.
Amazing what a piece of virgin vinyl can do to the senses...:cool:

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well part of it is I'd never buy a vinyl re-release. Just no reason to buy more vinyl. The remix sets vary, too. I do like some of Steven Wilson's remixes, tho limited as they are they tend to be quite good.

Newman

Major Contributor
Thank you for your reply...

Yes, I have read it before but sorry, I don't believe in what he said for various reasons. However, I am not here to discuss about my reasons nor to debate about it so I will leave it as that.

Btw, you have every right to disagree with what I posted. So, lets just agree to disagree, ok?
No.

You made a statement that the evidence does not support. I pointed you towards the evidence. Now it is your turn to provide evidence in support of your statement. If not, then back off from your statement and say "it's just a wild opinion that I hold without evidence for no particular reason, and I acknowledge that the best available evidence contradicts what I said."

Then I will ask you why do you maintain baseless beliefs while admitting the evidence does not support them. And why do you chuck such statements into a science-based forum as being facts pertinent to the discussion.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
No.

You made a statement that the evidence does not support. I pointed you towards the evidence. Now it is your turn to provide evidence in support of your statement. If not, then back off from your statement and say "it's just a wild opinion that I hold without evidence for no particular reason, and I acknowledge that the best available evidence contradicts what I said."

Then I will ask you why do you maintain baseless beliefs while admitting the evidence does not support them. And why do you chuck such statements into a science-based forum as being facts pertinent to the discussion.
You can disagree to disagree, but then @clearnfc can disagree with your disagreement - and so it goes on until you both disappear into a disagreeable black cloud. :p

clearnfc

No.

If you do not agree with what I said, you are free to report them to the mods. I am not obligied to explain it to you.

clearnfc

You can disagree to disagree, but then @clearnfc can disagree with your disagreement - and so it goes on until you both disappear into a disagreeable black cloud. :p

Lol!! I don't believe in arguing over the internet....not anymore. Its easier to just ignore them and not waste time and energy over it. Worst of all, I am not paid!! haha......

aslan7

According to Wilma Cozart Fine, who made the original MLP recordings and LP masters, the CDs of her recordings “the CDs got closer to the master tape than the vinyl ever could”. link

So, your opinion is 100% the opposite of what seems to be fact.
Audio is largely subjective and not entirely governed by facts. Yes, I think she was advertising that huge complete box set of MLP. I have listened to the LPs since they first came out and strongly feel that the CDs are short on fidelity. Is it possible that like some Sony Classics they did another remastering prior to re-release? Some of those are outstanding. I’m not a CD bashing LP fanatic, I just pick and choose what to my ears works. An interesting aspect of this discussion is how the introduction of the CD coincided with the period instrument movement. Boutique labels like Astree issued Baroque and early music chamber music that sounded fantastic. The sound was ideally suited for CD.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well part of it is I'd never buy a vinyl re-release. Just no reason to buy more vinyl.

Sometimes it's just not the same in downloadable digits. Or even those shiny metalized discs. :)

May she RIP

254362704887.jpg

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Lol!! I don't believe in arguing over the internet....not anymore. Its easier to just ignore them and not waste time and energy over it. Worst of all, I am not paid!! haha......
News Bulletin: You just did!;)
The definition of that word "argument" has taken on a sense of polarized confrontation, w/o exchange of ideas.
Even the University of Philippines has a course offering for next semester on "Fallacies of Arguments".
It should be mandatory education for civility-sake.
"Can anyone explain the vinyl resistance?"
Why not ask @amirm to hook it up to his AP, it should be a simple measurement? The results of the measurement should allow us to make-up argumentative explanations.:cool:

Last edited:

Hagan66

I'm a member of a couple of reddit audiophile threads where people post pictures of their rigs and most of the time they include turntables and every time I see one my mind is blown because I outgrew vinyl only a few years after buying my first CD player in the '80's. Back then I had a tape deck, a turntable and a CD player but once I heard digital I knew they was no going back yet people en mass are and I find it baffling given all the benefits of youtube. The first and most obvious benefit is, it's free. Secondly, youtube has an almost endless catalog of music, with the original music video, the karaoke versions of songs, live versions and videos that include the lyrics. Thirdly, the convenience of simply clicking my mouse a few times and opening up a world of music is pretty alluring. I always wondered about the sound quality though so I bought a CD a few years ago to compare youtube to CD and couldn't hear any difference. LP's on the other hand can only be played one at a time, require time, money and effort to obtain and play and also require money and effort to maintain and as your collection of LP's grows it obviously becomes more expensive and takes up space-something youtube doesn't yet most reddit audiophiles are flocking to them

Does the vinyl renaissance make sense to you because it sure doesn't to me
No. Bought first release of Radiohead's In Rainbows. Double LP (45 rpm) and two CDs. The quality of the sound from the CDs were just way way better than the vinyl. Only my opinion of course!

egellings

Major Contributor
S.Q. of vinyl is highly sensitive to the setup used to reproduce it, what with all the tone arms, cartridges, turntables & alignments. Then there are the preamps with the high gain and EQ requirements to deal with. CD has less variability in that respect. You buy a competent player, plug it into a line input, and drop the disk in--done. Some vinyl equipment will do a good job with S.Q while other poorly set up or lower quality equipment will sound lousy. So, a relatively stable sounding medium (CD) is being compared to one that can be all over the road like horse apples. Vinyl can sound quite good if the setup is good. In short, vinyl has setup variability which is simply not present with CD, so chances of getting poor sound from vinyl are higher due to just that reason alone.

G|force

Forum Donor
People that didn't buy and consume vinyl LP's in the 70's and 80's have trouble understanding that some of us old folks, including professionals were happy to put it behind us.
Early DAW on a Mac or an Amiga, testing 1992 and buying $4000 on computer memory.

Some of the best playback of recordings I have ever heard in memory were on LP. Some.
Wait until lacquer 78's become fashionable.

Last edited:

Hipster Doofus

Forum Donor
FRIENDS DON’T LET FRIENDS BUY VINYL….

just kidding…

live and let live

listen and let listen

sound should be fun so enjoy what you will …wether you are on the holy grail quest, just updating, showing off , trying to get laid or teaching the grand kids how it was done in the day…

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Well, it's official. Paul says that vinyl playback is better. He also says that Octave Records (AKA money sump / tax write-off / vanity project) is having a custom record cutting lathe designed for them. Lots of world class musicians in Colorado apparently. :rolleyes:

Top Bottom