• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can anyone explain the vinyl renaissance?

astcal

Forum Donor
Katie-Wedding.jpg

sq225917

Major Contributor
I don't watch, read or listen to any content on new music releases. I don't subscribe to any newsletters or anything else. I don't know anything about boutique record labels and their release schedules, I don't read promo pieces in mags or anything related to the trade in vinyl.

The only music marketing I see is album covers.

The idea that we're all suckers for the overpriced wares of a few elitist record labels doesn't hold water. Sure some people listen to new release gurus. Maybe it's a US thing, like self help books.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Looks like pleasant actually. :)

Along the same lines: someone should alert Motorcycle enthusiasts that we've also invented better vehicles called "Cars," which are actually safer, can transport more people, transport more stuff, and can be used all seasons, protecting you from the elements. They've clearly been duped by motorcycle advertising. We have to Save Them From Themselves.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Looks like pleasant actually. :)

Along the same lines: someone should alert Motorcycle enthusiasts that we've also invented better vehicles called "Cars," which are actually safer, can transport more people, transport more stuff, and can be used all seasons, protecting you from the elements. They've clearly been duped by motorcycle advertising. We have to Save Them From Themselves.
Oh please, there is nothing quite like riding on two wheels. I have a few times wanted to build an enclosed two wheeler. Wondered if perhaps that would be even better than the more open experience in some way. OTOH I keep a couple of open top cars for that particular enjoyment when the weather is right.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh please, there is nothing quite like riding on two wheels. I have a few times wanted to build an enclosed two wheeler. Wondered if perhaps that would be even better than the more open experience in some way. OTOH I keep a couple of open top cars for that particular enjoyment when the weather is right.

I'm afraid I find those choices to be silly.

I hate motorcycles. I really don't understand why anyone would ride one. They are noisy and annoying to other people, and scary to ride. They are missing the conveniences of a car, so they are an irrational choice which I can only impute to people being swayed by too many magazine advertisements and movies showing motorcycle riding "as if it were cool or fun."

(/s)

paddycrow

Forum Donor

I hate motorcycles. I really don't understand why anyone would ride one. They are noisy and annoying to other people, and scary to ride. They are missing the conveniences of a car, so they are an irrational choice which I can only impute to people being swayed by too many magazine advertisements and movies showing motorcycle riding "as if it were cool or fun."

(/s)
That's a bit of generalizing. Not all motorcycles fall in the loud, obnoxious Hardly Ableson category. Electric motorcycles are quiet. Two wheelers are also extremely fuel efficient and economical to own.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That's a bit of generalizing. Not all motorcycles fall in the loud, obnoxious Hardly Ableson category. Electric motorcycles are quiet. Two wheelers are also extremely fuel efficient and economical to own.

(/s) <-----

Ricardus

Addicted to Fun and Learning

(/s)
I just don't wanna live with permanent injury. I am not joking when I say everyone I know who rides a bike has crashed. Most have required surgery. Some have permanent disfigurement. It's just a diabolically bad choice, particularly if you have a wife and kids.

Now, I enjoy being on two wheels. I used to race bicycles (think tour de france not isle of wight motorcycle race), and thankfully I never had anything approaching a serious crash. But I came close a ton of times and it was pure luck that kept me alive.

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
You seem determined to score some petty point here. So, congrats, you win. Blocked.

You’ll soon have more members on your block list than posts to your name.

Ricardus

But back to the original topic.

I think you can best understand the vinyl Renaissance if you first understand the vinyl Medieval came before it, and most certainly the vinyl Baroque will follow.

KaLam1ty

Only just stumbled up on this thread and seems after a few days, it's already popped off, which doesn't really surprise me in a forum like this I suppose. I can already guess what most of that fluff is already about, just skimming the last few pages... so I'll just drop in quickly and dip out:

But anyways on this topic, the 2nd post more-or-less summarizes my reasoning for my plastic hoarding collecting tendencies. I think merch and tangibility are more than "rational" reasons to listen to such media. It's a fun experience.

What's easier to start an immediate conversation with?:

This?
20220325_180417_HDR.jpg

or this..?
1649037119734.png

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
The best money I’ve spent in a while was $7000 on upgrading to vinyl.

My old cracked clay sewage pipes, that is. I was fed up with roots growing into them and blocking them…

Robin L

Master Contributor
But back to the original topic.

I think you can best understand the vinyl Renaissance if you first understand the vinyl Medieval came before it, and most certainly the vinyl Baroque will follow.
Vinyl Baroque was the 1970's. We are now in the Vinyl neo-classical era.

Liya

Physical media has substance. It's tangible. It's real. You can hold it. I think some people are sick of streaming. There is something to say for the vinyl experience. Not quality, but ritual.

Attachments

• A83FAF59-B210-491A-B6C4-EF22ACCECFE9.png
    A83FAF59-B210-491A-B6C4-EF22ACCECFE9.png
    580.6 KB · Views: 50

VMAT4

Forum Donor
Vinyl Baroque was the 1970's. We are now in the Vinyl neo-classical era.
Thanks for the update. Maybe I'll return to vinyl when we hit the Contemporary era. What would Jennifer Higdon do?

Top Bottom