• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can anyone explain the vinyl renaissance?

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
On the retro-fetish....it's only a matter of time...

Once this trend truly catches on, if I want to be a hipster I'll be sending my carefully typed posts to Amirm via US mail.
Pfft. That ain't retro.

Retro is ink on paper. Preferably parchment. Preferably with actual liquid ink and a quill pen.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
All these years typing like a mad fool and even fixing typewriters at the beginning of my career ... and I just learned something new.

Thanks for that!

Speaking of typing...totally off topic for a moment.

I admit I'm absolutely astonished to live in a world in which people communicate so often by typing on keyboards, yet most people don't know how to type. I am old enough to have taken typing classes in high school (wanted to be a writer) so I use classic QWERTY. The idea of not knowing how to type in this context, of doing as much typing as the average person does via something like hunt-and-peck, is mind boggling to me.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

I admit I'm absolutely astonished to live in a world in which people communicate so often by typing on keyboards, yet most people don't know how to type. I am old enough to have taken typing classes in high school (wanted to be a writer) so I use classic QWERTY. The idea of not knowing how to type in this context, of doing as much typing as the average person does via something like hunt-and-peck, is mind boggling to me.
I compare QWERTY touch typing to be akin to playing a musical instrument. It's a skill that must be honed and made the foundation. That's not easy. I studied a bit with Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing and it helped me get more fingers working. I'm up to 4 fingers some days and 3 fingers most days. It seems when I forget myself that I can speedily type and I find myself not looking at the keys after 24 years of PC use and about 10 years of using a old antique typewriter in my youth. For now I hammer out the ideas and then after I go and fix all the mistakes and grammar. :D

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
typewriter
Let's call it what it really is... QWERTY keyboard, which was originally meant to slow down phenom typist from jamming the hammers on the manual typewriters. There is a reason why the left pinky is placed where the letter "a" is.:oops:
Don't get me going about the nibs (for index fingers) on the letters "f" and letter "j".

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You'll take QWERTY from my dead, cramped hands!

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Kinda reminds me of the return to stupidity with things like politics....

I hate non-qwerty keyboards :)

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I compare QWERTY touch typing to be akin to playing a musical instrument. It's a skill that must be honed and made the foundation. That's not easy. I studied a bit with Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing and it helped me get more fingers working. I'm up to 4 fingers some days and 3 fingers most days. It seems when I forget myself that I can speedily type and I find myself not looking at the keys after 24 years of PC use and about 10 years of using a old antique typewriter in my youth. For now I hammer out the ideas and then after I go and fix all the mistakes and grammar. :D
I became a keyboard artist and it helped me greatly in business, particularly the one I was in. I took "touch typing" in junior high, and it helped me greatly in my career....I was good at it....speedy and accurate. I learned on a manual and my grandma gave me her old one that I used almost to the end of high school when my dad brought home an IBM Selectric for me to type up stuff for his company and I also used it for my own papers....best looking ones in school.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I became a keyboard artist and it helped me greatly in business, particularly the one I was in. I took "touch typing" in junior high, and it helped me greatly in my career....I was good at it....speedy and accurate. I learned on a manual and my grandma gave me her old one that I used almost to the end of high school when my dad brought home an IBM Selectric for me to type up stuff for his company and I also used it for my own papers....best looking ones in school.
Hehe. After using the antique manual with ribbon when I used the first electric it was awesome. Something like 30 characters shown on a LCD display so errors could be noticed before laying the character down on the paper. I managed a stereo store and we sold typewriters too and they where selling veryyy well. I read somewhere that some peeps still prefer a typewriter for writing because it has a certain process that contributes to the writing and they like that.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hehe. After using the antique manual with ribbon when I used the first electric it was awesome. Something like 30 characters shown on a LCD display so errors could be noticed before laying the character down on the paper. I managed a stereo store and we sold typewriters too and they where selling veryyy well. I read somewhere that some peeps still prefer a typewriter for writing because it has a certain process that contributes to the writing and they like that.
Never used one of those, the Selectrics had that correction tape thing (altho I think I used Michael Nesmith's mom's invention for quite a while before that) for the few things I'd mistype....and for me part of the whole typing thing is the instant reproduction rather than some sort of advance read....I think I'd find that very weird!

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Never used one of those, the Selectrics had that correction tape thing (altho I think I used Michael Nesmith's mom's invention for quite a while before that) for the few things I'd mistype....and for me part of the whole typing thing is the instant reproduction rather than some sort of advance read....I think I'd find that very weird!
It was a upsell feature/model that people wanted at the time. It was considered pretty high tech. :D

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It was a upsell feature/model that people wanted at the time. It was considered pretty high tech. :D
I do remember some word processing dedicated units for offices at the time.....just never a typewriter itself. It would be weird to type something without instant printing for me.....

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I do remember some word processing dedicated units for offices at the time
Lol... My brother's gal has/had(?) a old word processor with the little square display and keyboard and she protected that thing like it was so awesome. Today we would give it to children as a toy. :D

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Lol... My brother's gal has/had(?) a old word processor with the little square display and keyboard and she protected that thing like it was so awesome. Today we would give it to children as a toy. :D
Yeah, was pretty serious and expensive at the time, tho.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I was a two finger typist. Then I spotted a colleague touch typing at speed. I just decided I was going to do it. I knew the basics of hand positioning, and which fingers to use. So I just started.

It slowed me down compared with my two fingers for about a month. Then I was faster, a month after that I was much faster.

The main benefit is being able to look at the screen while typing so you can see mistakes happen immediately.

jsrtheta

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Know any cops? Try reading their reports.

D

Deleted member 46664

I took touch typing and transcription typing in high school too ... On a good day I can hit 90wpm.

And yes it is rather surprising how many people use keyboards all day everyday and have no clue what "home row" is.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The main benefit is being able to look at the screen while typing so you can see mistakes happen immediately.
Good typists neither look at the keyboard nor the screen, as they are wrapped up in the next thought already...

We were forced to take a 'typing' class in the 11th grade.
All the boys hated the class because of the "only secretaries need to know how to type" mentality.
All the typewriters' in class did not have the characters on the keys. Except, there was a large pull-down screen (w/keyboard lay-out) above the chalkboard.
I also kicked and screamed but realized what a great course it was because knowing how to type in college paid off.
In the workforce, fresh out of college, I became good friends with all of the secretaries ("administrators") because it allowed me to schmooz with them when they needed their typewriters fixed (wink, wink)...

Top Bottom