• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can anyone explain in concrete terms how The Plasmatron helps?

pdmjoker

Forum Donor
I've just seen the AudioQuest Victoria Audio Cable with DBS Review and after reading

"Once again we have a tweak vendor imagining there is a problem in audio and proceeding to fix it without first verifying the problem was there to begin with! To a lay person I am sure the concept of cable insulation causing non-linearity makes sense as much as a photon torpedo does in Star Trek TV series. That is science fiction though. The real life has to deal with things that can be proven to exist first before rushing to create an expensive solution for it. Of course there is no evidence that the fix works either."

was reminded of The Plasmatron which costs $5,199 or $7,199 depending on version. Helpfully, the page has this explanation of how it works:

"The Plasmatron provides a more linear voltage output by adding negative resistance to the power line source impedance. But that’s ‘EE-speak’... What that really means is: the voltage supplied by the Plasmatron won’t drop. In fact, it can actually go up, when the load is increased. Need more. Get more."

Can anyone explain in concrete terms how The Plasmatron might help with audio reproduction? Thanks!

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would say this product is aimed at those who listen with their eyes. The purple glow is what this is all about.

As to the negative resistance bit, that's a fairly well known technique. Pye made an amplifier in the late 1950s/early 1960s that had the same thing. It had positive feedback as well as negative feedback that if properly adjusted created a zero or even slightly negative output impedance. If not adjusted properly it turned into an oscillator! I incorporated the idea into a 100 wpc KT88/6550A amplifier I designed and built for fun in the late 1970s which worked pretty well.

As to what it will do for audio reproduction, it will do as much as Mother Theresa did for Skydiving.

S.

OP
P

pdmjoker

Forum Donor
I would say this product is aimed at those who listen with their eyes. The purple glow is what this is all about.
... snip ... As to what it will do for audio reproduction, it will do as much as Mother Theresa did for Skydiving. S.
That was my suspicion, although perhaps what Mother Theresa did for Quantum Mechanics would have been a more obvious analogy? ;)

OP
P

pdmjoker

Forum Donor
Think about it this way. If the cables did do what they claim, they would be so busy selling them to the science, instrumentation and medical fields , that they wouldn't have time to think about hi-fi.
Perhaps they are hoping to wow science and medicine after having made a hit and becoming established and respected in Audio?

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That was my suspicion, although perhaps what Mother Theresa did for Quantum Mechanics would have been a more obvious analogy? ;)
Didn't Mother Theresa write a treatise on Quantum Chromodynamics...or was I thinking of somebody else?

S.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Didn't Mother Theresa write a treatise on Quantum Chromodynamics...or was I thinking of somebody else?

S.
Please, don't unleash the Wrath of God on the ASR community, many are already suffering from the virus. ;)

shaitan667

Sorry to dredge up an older thread...

Did you notice that the tubes have Xenon gas in em?
I think the manufacturer must be getting high.

The customers that provided testimonials must have units leaking the gas out :p

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Top Bottom