• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can Anybody Figure Out What's Going On Here?

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
The picture below is from a YouTube video which shows what's inside the 'mystery wart' on an expensive audio cable: Thomas & Stereo

The purpose of this post is not to address the efficacy of this cable or the views of the author, but rather the workmanship or lack thereof and what the heck is going on with what this manufacturer did.

First of all, its not totally clear whether this is a speaker cable or a line level one. At first blush, it seems like a simple series RC network connected from one conductor to the other - but is that really the case? The more I stare at the picture, it seems the more I question what's going on. The parts quality is not in question: the resistor is top quality and polystryene capacitors are among the best, most stable types made (unfortunately they are not being made anymore due to the lack of polystryene film availability - I have my own NOS stash). But aside from what I consider very poor workmanship, the lower lead of the polystryene cap seems to be broken off or bent in a way which obscures where its going and its generally difficult to determine what this circuit is supposedly doing.

Can anybody here make out what's going on with any certainty?

Either way, its hard to imagine that this 'circuit' is doing much of anything measurable, let alone audible!

Cable innards.jpg

Vini darko

Major Contributor
£££££ fixed tone control :facepalm:
I tried watching the video yesterday but couldn't make it past a couple of minutes.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I think it's a Reciprocity Cancellator.

Speedskater

Major Contributor
Looks like an Resistor, Capacitor Zobel network.
It might stop a amplifier/cable/loudspeaker from ringing at radio frequencies.

OP
MakeMineVinyl

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
At least when I build a passive filter to go in-line with my line level interconnects, I'm honest about it and put the components into a proper box!

MVIMG_20190403_212001.jpg

egellings

Major Contributor
I remember a line level cable from MIT (Musical Interface Technologies) called CVT Shotgun that had one of these RC pairs soldered across one end of the cable, and the cable had a direction arrow printed on its jacket. Expensive things! I never fell for it, but a 'phile buddy of mine went whole hog on them, wasting thousands of dollars.

OP
MakeMineVinyl

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
I think the resistor was 10K and the cap was 1nF.
That would put the pole around 16kHz. Honestly if an amplifier input is prone to being sensitive to out-of-band frequencies, the manufacturer will put an appropriate filter on the input. There's no need for a cable to have such a filter. :facepalm:

egellings

Major Contributor
If I recall the ad for the MIT cables, the RC was there for the cable, not the amplifier. It was some sort of a termination for something or other that sounded sciency but made no sense to me at all. The cables made no sense to me either, especially with a price tag like that.

Tks

Major Contributor
At least when I build a passive filter to go in-line with my line level interconnects, I'm honest about it and put the components into a proper box!

Lol a Hammond, I have a vape mod in such enclosure.

Top Bottom