• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can an Audient Evo 4 drive a Hifiman Sundara?

tamask01

Hello,

I have a Hifiman Sundara and wonder if the Audient Evo 4 could power it.
I looked up what others asked on these forums and found the power calculator where I added the Sundara's data as per its docs:
1651083822041.png

Then looked for the Evo's technical documentation at https://evo.audio/products/evo-4/specs/
I don't see specs for the current but as far as voltage goes it should be fine.

I'd like someone more skilled to look at it too - do you think the Evo 4 can drive the Sundara?

jae

Major Contributor
bONY44j.png

I would not be buying the Evo 4 under any circumstances.

Last edited:
OP
T

tamask01

Thanks for the post, I didn't know about this.
If I read this correctly, very few interfaces would provide enough power for the Sundaras and those that do have some issues elsewhere on the chart.
Do you think I could use an audio interface with the Sundaras at all?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Just connect a headphone amp to the Audient (or any other interface) and you will never have to worry about output power and headphones ever again.

OP
T

tamask01

Just connect a headphone amp to the Audient (or any other interface) and you will never have to worry about output power and headphones ever again.
Yes but then shouldn't I just buy the regular DAC/Amp combo?
I took a look at the Audient because it is a DAC/Amp combo itself and I would only need 1 device, not to mention it's really affordable. I won't really use its other fancy features.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Most people buy an audio interface to use the ADC and DAC portion and for those devices the headphone out is kind of an afterthought.

When you only plan to use it as a DAC I would suggest a more powerful DAC/Amp or a DAC + separate amp.
I assumed you already own the Audient. In that case an extra headphone amp would be a logical step.

OP
T

tamask01

No, I don't have it yet. I was looking to buy a Topping E30 + Topping A50s but the two together are a bit pricey... And even if I have the Sundaras, most of the time I need it to have accurate and pleasant sounds for movies, games and youtube (no professional or enthusiast music).
I think I should just find a decent dac+amp that does the trick for me then, if interfaces are not ideal for this headphones. I really wouldn't want to mess around with 2 devices given I doubt I would feel the difference on the medium I consume.

jae

Major Contributor
Yes but then shouldn't I just buy the regular DAC/Amp combo?
I took a look at the Audient because it is a DAC/Amp combo itself and I would only need 1 device, not to mention it's really affordable. I won't really use its other fancy features.
If you don't already have the Evo, if don't need an ADC for mic or instrument input then you don't particularly need any of these "interface" devices, as @solderdude said you would be better off looking for a separate amp or DAC+Amp combo device that is more appropriate for higher power applications. Like Topping EX5, DX5 etc. or something of that sort. If you absolutely do need an ADC on top of the DAC/amp as well, I would only suggest the Motu M2/M4 series, although you may still need an amp on top of that for driving these particular headphones to those levels.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
The 20mW in 32 ohm is a bit meager for the Sundara.
Topping NX4 is enough (300mW in 32 ohm), small and not too expensive.

OP
T

tamask01

The NX4 looks great but it's portable with a battery - is there something of similar price that is not portable?
Also, what do you think of the Topping DX3 Pro+? it's small, not too expensive and is a dac+amp.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
FiiO K5 Pro and DX3 Pro will both work.

cheaper option: FX Audio DAC-X6

Last edited:
OP
T

tamask01

Thanks, those actually look great. On the other hand, I might just switch from my Sundaras to a pair that are easier to drive, even though I like its sound to be honest.

OP
T

tamask01

Ty, I'll check them out. But honestly, a DX3 isn't too expensive either and it would drive my headphones for years to come.

OP
T

tamask01

I noticed the Fiio K5 has a newer release, the K5 Pro ESS (it has a somewhat better DAC). I purchased that one and will try it out when it arrives. It does everything I need and nothing I don't.
Thanks for the help guys!

Top Bottom