• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can an amateur DIY a Purifi monoblock or 3 channel?

JimB

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Based on the prices of the 1ET400A and the EVAL2, the EVAL2 buffer is DKK 907 (USD 148). Looks like I hit the pricing on my Purifi/Hypex Buffer spot on then. :) I charge $129/each (QTY 1) with discounts starting at QTY 2 ($125/each for a stereo pair).

I would expect the EVAL2 to provide identical performance to the EVAL1.

Tom
Remember that the EVAL2 includes the cable set. I got the FE03 netting out at ~$127, so very close to your pricing. The EVAL2 does include on-board XLR and speaker output sockets, which is a plus if they suit you (a negative, if not). Do I read it right that one should add optional regulators to achieve maximum performance with your board? What is the depth of your board? Is it shorter than the FE03?

Last edited:

tomchr

Audio Company
Forum Donor
Ah. Good catch.

You don't have to use the regulators. The Buffer provides the same measured performance on the ±12 V regulated output of a Hypex SMPS1200 as it does with the regulators (mine or Hypex's). I included the option to use regulators as many DIYers choose to geek out over regulators. My recommendation is to use the ±12 V output of the SMPS1200 and be done, but that doesn't give you same red LED light show as with the Hypex regulators so it won't present as well in the sales brochure.... ;) </cynicism>

Tom

JimB

Forum Donor
Ah. Good catch.

You don't have to use the regulators. The Buffer provides the same measured performance on the ±12 V regulated output of a Hypex SMPS1200 as it does with the regulators (mine or Hypex's). I included the option to use regulators as many DIYers choose to geek out over regulators. My recommendation is to use the ±12 V output of the SMPS1200 and be done, but that doesn't give you same red LED light show as with the Hypex regulators so it won't present as well in the sales brochure.... ;) </cynicism>

Tom
Nice advise. Nice options.

Looking at it, an FE03 nets out at more than an FE02.

Last edited:
OP
S

Skyflexion

What a time to be alive! Thank you very much for all the great inputs. :)

Hogh

The EVAL2 does include on-board XLR and speaker output sockets, which is a plus if they suit you (a negative, if not).

They have two more options, one with xlr + SpeakOn and one with no connectors. See the datasheet p. 7. I asked and these are available. You just have to make a comment in the order and write them a email.

JimB

Forum Donor
They have two more options, one with xlr + SpeakOn and one with no connectors. See the datasheet p. 7. I asked and these are available. You just have to make a comment in the order and write them a email.
Nice! Good observation!

But, no panel dimensions for the speakON version in the current datasheet. :(

EDIT: Upon request, Purifi provided this. It could be included in a future revision of the datasheet, if there are orders for it. It seems a great option. Does it interest people here?
1608567887668.png

Last edited:

tomchr

Audio Company
Forum Donor
Why are the connectors offset vertically? Is that a typo or real?

Edit: Found the answer. The PCB-mount speakON connectors have a 3 mm higher centre line than the XLR. That's annoying. I guess I'll have to use a separate PCB and vertical connectors if I want a pretty rear panel. Oh, well.

Tom

Last edited:

JimB

Forum Donor
Why are the connectors offset vertically? Is that a typo or real?

Edit: Found the answer. The PCB-mount speakON connectors have a 3 mm higher centre line than the XLR. That's annoying. I guess I'll have to use a separate PCB and vertical connectors if I want a pretty rear panel. Oh, well.

Tom
It's a bigger connector! It needs the room. If the XLR pins have the length, maybe shim them up 3mm? Or at least enough to get the bottoms to line up across?

tomchr

Audio Company
Forum Donor
The reason I'm surprised is that the chassis mount versions are the same size. Or at least they fit the same cutout pattern.

Tom

Top Bottom