• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can a Stereo amplifier play from two different sources?

Trdat

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I am going to apologize before hand for my weird question but this idea has been bugging me for a while and I have absolutely no idea about it. I am hazarding a guess that a stereo amp probably cannot play from two different sources into each channel but what happens if that stereo amp is being used from the same source for different frequency ranges? So for arguments sake the source > input active crossover >high output > the left channel of the stereo amp > low output > the right output of stereo amp would this concept work?

If anyone is curious what for I am considering this for a centre speaker.

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am going to apologize before hand for my weird question but this idea has been bugging me for a while and I have absolutely no idea about it. I am hazarding a guess that a stereo amp probably cannot play from two different sources into each channel but what happens if that stereo amp is being used from the same source for different frequency ranges? So for arguments sake the source > input active crossover >high output > the left channel of the stereo amp > low output > the right output of stereo amp would this concept work?

If anyone is curious what for I am considering this for a centre speaker.
Yes, that's exactly how active 'speakers work. A two-channel amplifier with each channel driving only one driver. With all-in-one active 'speakers, the two channels are built-in to the loudspeaker. With external actives, the two, three or more channels use external amplifiers. In my case, I use three stereo amps to drive the 6 drivers in my two loudspeakers, all driven from an electronic crossover.

S.

OP
Trdat

Trdat

Forum Donor
Yes, that's exactly how active 'speakers work. A two-channel amplifier with each channel driving only one driver. With all-in-one active 'speakers, the two channels are built-in to the loudspeaker. With external actives, the two, three or more channels use external amplifiers. In my case, I use three stereo amps to drive the 6 drivers in my two loudspeakers, all driven from an electronic crossover.

S.

Okay so just checking I have understood correctly cause I am presuming you are using the stereo amp for left and right channels in the same frequency range. I want to use it for different ranges. I have an active speaker with audiolense with a DAC and Amp for each channel.

But for this project I will technically be building a centre active speaker with external amplification. And if its a 2 way can the left channel power the tweeter and the right channel power the woofer obviously with a crossover either an active or digitial FIR from PC, your saying yes? Sorry for repeating myself just making sure.

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Okay so just checking I have understood correctly cause I am presuming you are using the stereo amp for left and right channels in the same frequency range. I want to use it for different ranges. I have an active speaker with audiolense with a DAC and Amp for each channel.

But for this project I will technically be building a centre active speaker with external amplification. And if its a 2 way can the left channel power the tweeter and the right channel power the woofer obviously with a crossover either an active or digitial FIR from PC, your saying yes? Sorry for repeating myself just making sure.
It makes no difference. Whether one amplifier does, say, high frequencies left and right, or both high and low, left and another amp does high and low right. As long as the amplifier has half-decent stereo separation, (and they all pretty much do) then it doesn't matter.

The minor benefit of dedicating one two-channel amplifier to bass and another to treble is that the treble amplifier can be of lower power, but it is a very minor benefit.

S.

Last edited:

EB1000

Not exactly the same, but my AV receiver is connected to an external pre-amp (NAD C658), which is connected to external power amps. This way I can play music from the front speakers using the C658, while watching and listening to the news from the center speaker via the AV receiver (Yamaha RX-A2080). This way I can just mute the AVR during commercial breaks and keep enjoying the music.

OP
Trdat

Trdat

Forum Donor
It makes no difference. Whether one amplifier does, say, high frequencies left and right, or both high and low, left and another amp does high and low right. As long as the amplifier has half-decent stereo separation, (and they all pretty much do) then it doesn't matter.

The minor benefit of dedicating one two-channel amplifier to bass and another to treble is that the treble amplifier can of of lower power, but it is a very minor benefit.

S.

This was great to know. I had no idea plus this was not something you can just google search, a weird concept(perhaps not now) at best but I can see how you could use it in active speakers.

Thanks again.

Top Bottom