• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can a SPDIF switcher or receiver add noise or distortion to a system?

For example, would this switcher or this splitter add noise or distortion to my audio system? My intuition tells me no as the former just uses a switch to change outputs, so there's no room for it to add noise or distortion while the splitter shouldn't because it has to do is exactly copy the bits coming from the input and paste it to three different outputs.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
For example, would this switcher or this splitter add noise or distortion to my audio system? My intuition tells me no as the former just uses a switch to change outputs, so there's no room for it to add noise or distortion while the splitter shouldn't because it has to do is exactly copy the bits coming from the input and paste it to three different outputs.
I don't think so. With such a low price I expect that there are just TOSLINK receivers and transmitters connected directly (splitter) or via a switch (switcher). A TOSLINK receiver outputs a digital signal with (I assume) fast rise times as long as the incoming optical signal is not too weak. The switch would not handle the signal but just control an AND circuit on board (that is how I designed my digital patchbay) to let the signal pass (or not) to the TOSLINK transmitter which outputs clean optical signal.

I rather think that using such a splitter or switch with two short optical cables may have advantages over one long optical cable because it works as repeater.

Top Bottom